This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

renaming flash drives

dpaul

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22:45 am

Zorin is very close to use for the home user, few thing seem a pain compared to windows. Why is it so hard to rename a flash drive, the usual right click and rename doesn't seem a option, I googled it and went through a complicated process that said it would take a while, well after making a coffee and sandwich, consuming them I was still waiting and gave up, Best way seems to be put the flash drive in a windows computer rename it the put it back in Zorin. Uninstalling a program could be a easier if you didn't have to find it under a category. But compared to the Linux to tried a few years ago it is great

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12:52 am

May I ask, what did you do to rename your flash drive? I take it your flash drive is a usb device, of some nature.

What file format do you use on your USB device?

Sometimes, there are easier and faster ways of doing to the same job. I am also new to Zorin but I have found that most things can be just as easy and just as fast. Curious to see if there is a faster and easier way for you.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38:50 am

Hi,

I found this but haven't read through it!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive

dpaul

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21:08 am

Wolfgang02 wrote:May I ask, what did you do to rename your flash drive? I take it your flash drive is a usb device, of some nature.

What file format do you use on your USB device?

Sometimes, there are easier and faster ways of doing to the same job. I am also new to Zorin but I have found that most things can be just as easy and just as fast. Curious to see if there is a faster and easier way for you.

I googled renaming and used GPart, but gave up after Half hour of being asked to wait, and just put the flash drive in a Window Machine and renamed it, Being able to just rename a external drive seems simple in windows but major surgery in Linux.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40:43 am

Just out of curiosity, how is the USB formatted?

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08:28 am

I would expect GPart to take a long time to rename a label because it is a formatting tool (never used it so I could be completely wrong - I also read to use GPart as the GUI for relabeling). The post that Wolfman posted shows a command prompt which would allow you to rename a label (remember to unmount the USB before you start). I personally find that the command prompt works faster than some GUIs.

I only came here because XP was not being supported anymore and just like you I like the OS but I struggle to understand how to achieve some simple tasks. I like to pass on any knowledge I have learnt over the last couple of weeks and I would like to give lots of little steps. If you already know the little steps then I would like to apologise but they are there for my benefit too (hope you understand).

I have also read, depending on the file format of your USB there are different ways of labeling your USB.

May I also ask, could we have a look at how the flash drive is mounted?

You could do this by placing your flash drive into your computer and open a terminal (press CTRL + ALT + T, or alternatively Start > Accessories > Terminal), copy and paste the following (to paste in a terminal press
SHIFT + CTRL + V):
Code:
sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

Then copy and paste the results here. To copy from a terminal (SHIFT + CTRL + C).

From that we should be able to help you alot more and help you relabel a drive without needing XP. :D

dpaul

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:07:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how is the USB formatted?

fat32

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25:08 pm

I have read through the post which Wolfman posted. It does state that GParted is the easist way so I am going to show how it could be done using GParted and I will time how long it takes. I know you must have done all the steps below or you wouldn't have be able to label your USB device but they are here in case anyone needs them.

Below is a picture which shows that the drive is mounted.
MountedDrive.png

1. unmount the drive (This is critical and please ensure this is done before following any other steps). This is done by right clicking and left clicking unmount:
Unmount.png
Right click and then left click unmount

Your drive now shouldn't have the padlock next to it (as shown below):
NotMounted.png

2. right-click on the partition and left click Label:
Label.png
Right click and left click label

3. In the dialog box, enter your new name and click OK
LabelDialog.png

(I called my new label Photos).
4.Press the Apply button:
LabelDialog.png

The final step took less then 2 seconds to complete so I have to eat my own words, and say that GParted is quick and easy to do. Granted in Windows we could just right click on the drive letter and label it from there but still this is quick. I think it is because the drive was unmounted.

I have found another way, using a program called disks.
Start > Accessories>Disks
1. Left click the drive you would like to rename
2. Left the square box next to "More Actions" to unmount the drive
3. Left click "More Actions" which is the 3rd button on Volumes:
4. Left Click "Edit Filesystem Label"
5. Enter your new label and click OK.
(I will edit this once I learn how to add more pics)

That was just as quick but less steps so may be easier, not sure. There is a command prompt method which is included in the post Wolfman gave us and we would need to install mtools as we are using FAT. Just need to follow the document in order to do it via the command prompt.

I hope one of these methods prove to be just as successful for you. Let us know how you get on.