This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin and the Kingsoft lottery

Bloggsworth

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27:27 pm

As forum members may be aware, I have been, for a neighbour, converting an Advent running Windows XP to Linux, and Zorin in particular. After some well documented trials and tribulations, the system is up and running. Now, my preference for "Office" clones is Kingsoft Office, which I installed on my Toshiba Equiium, also running Zorin, without problem. However, when I try to load it onto the Advent, using Gdebi, it appears to be installing succesfully, flags up that all dependencies have been satisfied, but then bu**ers up the OS, making it impossible to use the Software Centre, which opens and immediately closes, followed by a message advising the running of dpkg --configure -a, which I have done several times, it makes no difference, I just get told that no archive can be found, and to reinstall Kingsoft. I have re-started, used the Advanced Options>Recovery mode to mend broken packages etc., but it made no difference, just got the same message. I had to do a complete reinstall.

Any ideas on why Kingsoft should easily install on one machine, but cripple the OS on another, when both were installed using the same ISO? And why the failure to install one program should prevent the installation of any and all other programs; and what's more, what can I do about it. I did all the ctrl+alt+delete rather than the Resume, I updated using wired LAN, all the right things.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:28:59 pm

Hi I haven't installed it on Zorin 8 (my last install was on Pear 8) but found this guide:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kingso ... nd-debian/

Bloggsworth

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi I haven't installed it on Zorin 8 (my last install was on Pear 8) but found this guide:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kingso ... nd-debian/

"Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice.

Followed the instructions, did the sudo apt-get install -f, hit enter and waited, and waited, and waited; the Terminal screen disappeared and I was left with a black screen for about 2 hours, then bits of the task-bar reappeared, just the logo at one end and the user-name at the other. I opened terminal and got the blinking cursor, by which I reasoned it had stopped doing what it was doing. I looked in Office, and there were the Kingsoft icons; so I restarted the computer to see if I would get the desktop back, I did. I then opened Writer, Calc and Impress, and all opened, with only the warning that some symbols might not work. I closed them down and tried to open the Software Centre and couldn't, getting the same message as before about Kingsoft needing to be reinstalled. Unknown Error: '<Class 'System Error'>' '(E: The package kingsoft-office needs to be reinstalled, I can't find an archive for it.)'

I've tried running sudo dpkg --configure -a but it doesn't fix the problem. I've tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f and nothing. I've tried sudo apt-get update with no luck. I've tried sudo apt-get install -f and get the message about not finding the archive - I don't need the archive, the program is installed, why won't it offer me a suggestion, just the merest hint, as to how to expunge the the missing headers or whatever it is that is clogging the works.

I can't now check for updates, install updates or anything like that. I've tried Recovery while connected by LAN cable, nothing gets fixed. Is it really the case that an internal "Misunderstanding" can banjax the whole OS, and that it is unfixable. I have been asked several times if I want to ignore the eror, I say yes, but it still keeps throwing up error messages andnot ignoring the error at all..

This is even more confusing as the software is now installed, yet it still seems to have crashed the Software Centre. How do I now get the Software Centre working again without doing yet another full install? This OS doesn't seem to be very robust? I'll try to restart using recovery mode, though I don't hold out much hope, as it has never fixed the problem before.

Looks like it is another complete reinstall - Good thing I have the patience of Job...

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:25:39 pm

Well you are in good company, I've just screwed my install up as well! :lol:

I tried janitor to clean the cache but am still getting that error - all I can find errors for are in the bug reports for Ubuntu Kylin - the Chinese version of Ubuntu - and Kingsoft Office mentions issues around the fact it is a 32-bit app which is not compatible with 64-bit Ubuntu. Strange I never had an issue with Pear Linux 8 - which is sadly no more! :(

Guess we will have to wait for Wolfman or Gizmuntu to get us out of this fix! :D

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29:51 am

Hi,

try using the 32 bit version even on a 64 bit PC if you haven't already!. Apart from that, I don't really have an idea sorry!.. :(

madvinegar

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:34:43 am

1) First of all download the latest kingsoft release Alpha12-patch4 deb from here: http://wps-community.org/download.html

2) In case you want to install in an 64bit machine you need first to run
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update

This applies to Zorin8 and above (based on 13.10 as the package ia32-libs has been discontinued).

3) and then install the deb package, either from the software center or gdebi or from terminal
Code:
sudo dpkg -i kingsoft-office_9.1.0.4280~a12p4_i386.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

If you are installing kingsoft in a 32bit machine, skip step2.

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32:19 am

madvinegar wrote:1) First of all download the latest kingsoft release Alpha12-patch4 deb from here: http://wps-community.org/download.html

2) In case you want to install in an 64bit machine you need first to run
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update

This applies to Zorin8 and above (based on 13.10 as the package ia32-libs has been discontinued).

3) and then install the deb package, either from the software center or gdebi or from terminal
Code:
sudo dpkg -i kingsoft-office_9.1.0.4280~a12p4_i386.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

If you are installing kingsoft in a 32bit machine, skip step2.

Exactly what I did on the Advent. On the Toshiba I installed Gdebi first, downloaded the software, then in Downloads, right clicked and chose "Open with Gdebi", it worked perfectly first time.

Now, on the Advent, I have a working copy of Kingsoft, but no working Software Centre. I am advised to go th Package Manger to sort the problem, but Package Manager won't open, it justs posts the message about re-installing Kingsoft and when you close the message, Package Manager also closes. dpkg --configure -a does nothing, it is supposed to fix packages, it doesn't. Isn't there a way of downloading and re-installing the part of the OS which isn't working, or is that what dpkg --configure -a is supposed to do?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06:50 am

Hi Wolfman, for clarity, Kingsoft (wps) only do a 32-bit version for GNU/Linux! If I am totally honest I have only myself to blame - the hard drive totally locked up, did a reboot and now in the same position as Bloggsworth's neighbour! :evil:

To be fair to Zorin, if we start putting on 3rd Party software that is not in any repository, we do so at our own risk - just like Windows when we don't install MS partnered software! :mrgreen:

(One thing that did make me smile recently when I upgraded one of the machines here with IE11 I then downloaded Kingsoft Office and IE11 warned the file was corrupt - I ignored the warning and installed and no problem - clearly M$ see Kingsoft as a clear threat to their Office business model! :lol:

madvinegar

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27:51 am

Bloggsworth wrote:Now, on the Advent, I have a working copy of Kingsoft, but no working Software Centre.

Try this
Code:
rm -r ~/.cache/software-center
sudo apt-get remove software-center
sudo apt-get install software-center

Important note. Copy and paste the commands exactly as I write above.
Be careful in the 1st command not to leave any space after the ~/

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51:40 am

madvinegar wrote:
Bloggsworth wrote:Now, on the Advent, I have a working copy of Kingsoft, but no working Software Centre.

Try this
Code:
rm -r ~/.cache/software-center
sudo apt-get remove software-center
sudo apt-get install software-center

Important note. Copy and paste the commands exactly as I write above.
Be careful in the 1st command not to leave any space after the ~/

Hi madvinegar, tried that and I am stuck:

56.png

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07:25 am

Is it hardware/BIOS related; does it work with Intel but not AMD? Is it that on some computers using Gdebi causes Software Installer to lose track of what's going where? Is it that on some installations the OS objects to software being installed by anything other than the native package installer? I think we should be told...

I've given up, I may be retired, but I really have better things to do with what time I have left!

I wonder if removing the Software Centre, then installing Kingsoft using Gdebi then, after it is up and running, re-installing the Software Centre afterwards would work; then it would be unaware that it had lost the files as it had never seen them in the first place? It strikes me, as a non-techie, that the Software Centre is trying to monitor what Gdebi is doing, but has, in fact, not been, as it were, invited to the party...

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:14:10 am

Hi Bloggsworth, I had no trouble installing Kingsoft Office in Pear Linux and I used Gdebi (that was based on Ubuntu 13.04) - I think there is a combination of issues here, Ubuntu 13.10 and the current version of Kingsoft Office and 64-bit systems - but I don't think that notebook you told us was 64-bit. I suspect that a lot of work will now be devoted to Ubuntu Kylin - Canonicals specific version of Ubuntu aimed specifically at the Chinese Market - hence the name.
Also you have to bear in mind that Kingsoft Office is 'closed source' in much the same way that free 'voices' from 'mbrola' are closed source so devs cannot mess with the code to make it work - it is not all Zorin's fault is what I am trying to say! If I reinstall I think I will try and install the Windows version using Wine - I may also drop to the 32-bit version of Zorin 8.

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Bloggsworth, I had no trouble installing Kingsoft Office in Pear Linux and I used Gdebi (that was based on Ubuntu 13.04) - I think there is a combination of issues here, Ubuntu 13.10 and the current version of Kingsoft Office and 64-bit systems - but I don't think that notebook you told us was 64-bit. I suspect that a lot of work will now be devoted to Ubuntu Kylin - Canonicals specific version of Ubuntu aimed specifically at the Chinese Market - hence the name.
Also you have to bear in mind that Kingsoft Office is 'closed source' in much the same way that free 'voices' from 'mbrola' are closed source so devs cannot mess with the code to make it work - it is not all Zorin's fault is what I am trying to say! If I reinstall I think I will try and install the Windows version using Wine - I may also drop to the 32-bit version of Zorin 8.

I'm not saying it is Zorin's fault, just that it is odd that it will work on some machines but not others. Both my machines are 32 bit, I can tell, they've both got PCMCIA slots, that makes them old!

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07:38 pm

OK, sorted it! (that is Synaptics etc should now work for you too Bloggsworth!

Code:
sudo dpkg --remove --force-all kingsoft-office

To confirm you are sorted, whilst still in terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(With thanks to dylan murphy who posted here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/88371/ap ... ive-for-it)

madvinegar

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28:20 pm

I suppose this command removes kingsoft office completely.
What happens of you re-install kingsoft office?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:52:22 pm

Hi madvinegar, I don't want to risk it - apparently there is an issue in Ubuntu Kylin 64-bit which is all I could find on launchpad - they only ever made a 32-bit version - I am guessing the latest release is the problem as when I installed it on Pear OS 8 a while back there was absolutely no issue - it was 64-bit but based on Ubuntu 13.04 - eagerly waiting to see if Clementine OS gets off the ground in a couple of months time! :D

madvinegar

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:02:20 pm

I installed the latest kingsoft release yesterday in ubuntu 14.04 64bit. It's working fine.
Maybe it will be resolved in Zorin9 LTS.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:03:47 pm

Hi madvinegar, thanks for the heads up - have you tried installing the windows version in Wine? :D

UPDATE - Installs in Wine but will not work correctly - will see if I get a freeze - at least I know how to recover now! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25:33 pm

UPDATE 2 - Kingsoft installed without a glitch using Gdebi - made sure no other applications including browsers were open - only reports a 'symbol' error missing in fonts (Chinese) but no biggy! Everything appears to be working as it should and even in correct place in main menu - you don't get icons on the desktop, which you would in Windows - just in case people are trying to do the same thing! :D

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:43:19 pm

Tried that, now I don't have a Software Center either - sudo apt-get install software-center doesn't reinstated it, nor does starting in recovery mode.

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:UPDATE 2 - Kingsoft installed without a glitch using Gdebi - made sure no other applications including browsers were open - only reports a 'symbol' error missing in fonts (Chinese) but no biggy! Everything appears to be working as it should and even in correct place in main menu - you don't get icons on the desktop, which you would in Windows - just in case people are trying to do the same thing! :D

Even the Software Center, no messages about reinstalling...

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22:41 pm

Hi Bloggsworth, can you be a bit more clear on your last post? If you follow my guidance here it should clear it up for a second attempt - I do not have any issues with the Software Center now - all hunky dory! :D

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:49:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Bloggsworth, can you be a bit more clear on your last post? If you follow my guidance here it should clear it up for a second attempt - I do not have any issues with the Software Center now - all hunky dory! :D

Uninstalling the Software Centre worked so well I couldn't find it if it had reinstalled, yet I was still getting the same error messages. I officially give up on this one, the OS is too illogical to deal with; for instance, on the last installation I could scroll up and down web pages using the cursor keys (the OS tells me I have no touchpad), now I can't, same ISO DVD, same updates, or are they, different result. There seems to be no consistency of effect.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37:46 am

Hi Bloggsworth, I did not uninstall software centre/er - I just used that command I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7084&start=10#p33766

Sorry you are having a rough time of things, if you have had enough please take a look at these alternatives:

LXLE (http://lxle.net) SolydXK (http://solydxk.com/) or Elementary OS (http://elementaryos.org/docs/user-guide ... ifications) - don't be concerned about the 'Donation' bit - you can still download Elementary OS at no cost.

Bloggsworth

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17:28 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Bloggsworth, I did not uninstall software centre/er - I just used that command I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7084&start=10#p33766

Sorry you are having a rough time of things, if you have had enough please take a look at these alternatives:

LXLE (http://lxle.net) SolydXK (http://solydxk.com/) or Elementary OS (http://elementaryos.org/docs/user-guide ... ifications) - don't be concerned about the 'Donation' bit - you can still download Elementary OS at no cost.

I'm not having a tough time with Zorin, just with my natural inclination to not be defeated by inanimate objects! When struck by the puzzle of a piece of software that works on one machine but not on the other, my tendency is to find a way round the problem.

The "Video Player" crashes after about 2 minutes with an overflow error - Shall I? Nah, she's got a television, and a Blu-Ray player I gave them when her former husband replaced our fence at their expense, I think they'll manage for entertainment.

My neighbour will probably be happy to use Libre Office on this machine, she has Office on he Vista laptop for her college stuff.

It is probably a bit confusing for you, what with me installing Zorin on 2 different makes of laptop at the same time.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02:34 pm

No not confusing, frustrating! :D

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03:06 am

Solved the DVD problem, SMPlayer works perfectly on both the Advent and Toshiba. I have now released the Advent into the wild to fend for itself!

jojothehobo

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40:00 pm

Hi Swarfendor437:
Very sorry to hear about your system problems. It seems as if they are generic as many have reported them. Before reading these posts I too had a mini adventure installing KingSoft Office. I'm enclosing my experience getting a successful install since other users may be interested in the Kingsoft Office suite.

When I used the Ubuntu software center and tried to install Kingsoft Office it simply didn't install (thank goodness, based on your experience. It just sat there doing nothing. I got a successful install using the procedure below:

I downloaded the 32 bit .deb file from the site " http://wps-community.org/download.html" . I then tried to install it with the package GDebi. As soon as I pointed Gdebi to the downloaded .deb file, I got a pop up telling me I needed to install the package that allows 32 bit programs to run on 64 bit Linux (I don't remember what it was). I said yes, it downloaded and installed it all by itself (now that is user friendly software!) and it then proceeded to install Kingsoft Office. It ran right out of the box.. I am running Zorin 6 (Ubuntu 12.04).

Seems more like dumb luck than anything else. It would ruin more than a day if it hosed my machine. Since Kingsoft is a Chinese company I assume the Chinese are logging this forum and will probably forward it to Kingsoft, so hopefully they will fix the problem. Finally, I'd suggest locating the Kingsoft Office linux forum and post your issue there. Perhaps other users have had similar difficulties and someone may have even found a workaround. I know, a long shot, but the price of checking it right.

all the best
jojo

madvinegar

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:37:22 pm

I have installed kingsoft to all sorts of machines. 32 bit, 64bit, mint, zorin, ubuntu, elementary OS, pear os etc etc. I never had any problem.
It's really odd for me to read that you are facing so many problems with kingsoft. Hope you get them sorted out because it is trully a nice piece of software.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35:40 am

jojothehobo wrote:Hi Swarfendor437:
Very sorry to hear about your system problems. It seems as if they are generic as many have reported them. Before reading these posts I too had a mini adventure installing KingSoft Office. I'm enclosing my experience getting a successful install since other users may be interested in the Kingsoft Office suite.

When I used the Ubuntu software center and tried to install Kingsoft Office it simply didn't install (thank goodness, based on your experience. It just sat there doing nothing. I got a successful install using the procedure below:

I downloaded the 32 bit .deb file from the site " http://wps-community.org/download.html" . I then tried to install it with the package GDebi. As soon as I pointed Gdebi to the downloaded .deb file, I got a pop up telling me I needed to install the package that allows 32 bit programs to run on 64 bit Linux (I don't remember what it was). I said yes, it downloaded and installed it all by itself (now that is user friendly software!) and it then proceeded to install Kingsoft Office. It ran right out of the box.. I am running Zorin 6 (Ubuntu 12.04).

Seems more like dumb luck than anything else. It would ruin more than a day if it hosed my machine. Since Kingsoft is a Chinese company I assume the Chinese are logging this forum and will probably forward it to Kingsoft, so hopefully they will fix the problem. Finally, I'd suggest locating the Kingsoft Office linux forum and post your issue there. Perhaps other users have had similar difficulties and someone may have even found a workaround. I know, a long shot, but the price of checking it right.

all the best
jojo

Hi jojo, I think it was a one-off incident I had - once I had 'purged' with the force command everything installed swimmingly - of interest I read of a Kingsoft Forum member (Chinese) who left because he believed the GNU/Linux version should be open source - and a s a reminder, this will not co-operate with the GNU/Linux screenreader Orca - Orca was written by a member of Sun Microsystems who has a visual impairment - I don't know the status of the project but Gnome 3 has taken a turn for the worse in the area of the screenreader - with either 'off' or 'on' - no tweakings allowed and will only run with OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice - also Orca cannot read the Zorin Menu - only YAMA (Yet Another Menu App).

ranarohit

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21:19 am

Bloggsworth wrote:As forum members may be aware, I have been, for a neighbour, converting an Advent running Windows XP to Linux, and Zorin in particular. After some well documented trials and tribulations, the system is up and running. Now, my preference for "Office" clones is Kingsoft Office, which I installed on my Toshiba Equiium, also running Zorin, without problem. However, when I try to load it onto the Advent, using Gdebi, it appears to be installing succesfully, flags up that all dependencies have been satisfied, but then bu**ers up the OS, making it impossible to use the Software Centre, which opens and immediately closes, followed by a message advising the running of dpkg --configure -a, which I have done several times, it makes no difference, I just get told that no archive can be found, and to reinstall Kingsoft. I have re-started, used the Advanced Options>Recovery mode to mend broken packages etc., but it made no difference, just got the same message. I had to do a complete reinstall.

Any ideas on why Kingsoft should easily install on one machine, but cripple the OS on another, when both were installed using the same ISO? And why the failure to install one program should prevent the installation of any and all other programs; and what's more, what can I do about it. I did all the ctrl+alt+delete rather than the Resume, I updated using wired LAN, all the right things.

just try this one:
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq kingsoft-office:i386