This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Some usability issues...

gcoulthard

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19:49 pm

Hi there -- I have been a Zorin OS Ultimate user since v.6 and recently purchased the v.9 Ultimate ISO. However, I'm contemplating removing it in place of Mint 17 for the following reasons/areas of concern:
- When clicking on menu items (or indicators with menus) in AWN, menus appear and disappear immediately; sometimes it takes 4or 5 clicks before I can get a menu to stay displayed. I've tried modifying the mouse settings and removing animation, but nothing seems to help this.
- The various menu options/styles are all rather poor/ugly, in comparison to Cinnamon's, Mate's Mint Menu, or XFCE's Whisker. Even the Gnomenu is nicer than the Zorin options.
- The AWN bar sometimes loses its right-side indicator icons for no reason. As a new user, I can imagine that this would be a bit irritating.
- I've tried the other "looks," but the Windows 7 theme seems to be the best for my purposes. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get rid of AWN completely.

Before moving to another distro, however, I am wondering if any of you have found "solutions" or workarounds to these issues.
All the best,
Glen
----------------------
ThinkPad x230t, 16GB RAM, i5 with 500GB Samsung EVO SSD

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:28:25 pm

You could:

1. Install GnoMenu

2. Install Cairo-Dock (set to Panel mod)

3. Download the GnoMenu Add-in - then you have access to all the different menu looks at your disposal.

Just to add, Gizmuntu did manage to add Mate to this latest release! ;)

Gizmuntu has also provided som excellent revamped Win7 menus/themes for you to download too! :D

Anonymous

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10:36 pm

No Need ....both Mate and Cinnamon work very well within Zorin OS 9 !!!! :D :D
That is stability relative to [ Ubuntu 14.04 ] only.
If you need direction on how.
Leave word and I'll be happy to get you sorted in the right direction.

Regards
Gizzy

gcoulthard

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback and offer to help. I'll search your past posts Gizmuntu -- or do you have a web page with the themes/directions for installing Mate/Cinnamon?
Bye for now,
Glen