This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My rant about Zorin/Ubuntu/Linux in general

g2k

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40:50 am

None of the following is to be taken as an attack against a person, or group of people, or a particular distro. It is simply addressing the problem(s) that are linked to many distros of linux and my opinion of why these problems exist in the first place.

Recently I purchased a copy/upgrade of Windows 7. I booted my desktop from the dvd and told it to install. It installed, found all my hardware and set itself up nicely. It listed my Windows experience rating as 4's and 5's except for my graphics card which scored a 1.0 (ouch). I quickly realized that my webcam kept crashing, and that I had NO Aero effects. The problems given was an issue with .netframework 3.5 sp1 (webcam) and the "driver" for my graphics card (Aero).

I called Microsoft and they remoted into my desktop to help fix the issue. It took them 6 hours and they still had not fixed it, but said they would re-try tomorrow, as the lady needed to go home, and we were re-installing Windows7, fine says I. In the mean time I went out and purchased an Nvidia gt640 graphics card, installed it with the latest drivers and re-ran the Windows experience tool. WOW, I went from 1.0 to 4.0 and had FULL aero effects, and a working webcam complete with ALL the extended morphing attributes (yay 4me). The next day Microsoft called me on the phone, and remoted into my desktop, after me telling them what I had done about the graphics card. They updated the system, ran several checks, and concurred that indeed all was well and working. This "support" was included in the purchase price of the Windows7 operating system.

Outside of having a low-power graphics card the entire process of installing and using Windows was painless. The OS itself worked well with all the peripherials I have/own except the webcam. My movies/pictures/documents which were on another partition were easily integrated. I was done customizing within a few hours with the exception of the webcam problem and no aero effects.

I wiped my linux partitions and wanted to install Zorin os 5 (my favorite linux distro), it worked well under my old crappy graphics card. Unfortunately it wouldnt install at all. Not text based installer, not safe graphics mode, not starting the installer directly or booting the live system. Just a giant HANG on some multi channel usb device (my new graphics card).

I figured no problem, I'll upgrade to Zorin os 6. It installed but had problems with the screens (dual monitors) flashing as if they were "blinking their eyes".
I did a quick "additional drivers" search and none were available, I also had
no desktop effects.

I Searched and found "the answer"...sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
(brought me upto v2.95?) rebooted and used the nvidia control panel to get everything set up "properly".

Rebooted and had proper resolution, desktop effects, etc. Then compiz crashed, I did this process 6 times, trying many different things I've learned from the many experiences I've had with the many different flavors of linux I've tried over the many years.

Now I don't know what to do. I like the look and feel of os5 (very win7 ish), but I like the advancements on os6 too. As it stands right now, it really does'nt matter as neither Zorin os 5 or 6 works in my system AT ALL.

Things like this is why linux as a whole is a joke to a SERIOUS computer USER. I spent 6hrs with a remote access session trying to get the cam and driver issues resolved under Windows7. The next day Microsoft called me after I had installed the new card to check everything out, and make sure there are no issues, and everybody is happy. I paid $120.00 for win7 and it's already paid for itself in the 3 days I've been running it.

Linux may be free, but the 12 hours I spent trying to "make it work" was unpaid time, and much frustration and 12 hours I'll never get back. Linux has potential, it certainly has a great "user community" and it's no slouch when it comes to raw horsepower either. However the big name boys:ubuntu, mint,zorin etc need to stop worrying about which music player will be included in their distro and start developing the hell out their distro until it's as good on all hardware by every manufacturer with full V.P.N./remote access/telephone support, as Windows, and then charge for those services (paid by buying the disk).

Any group that does this will eventually give Microsoft a legitimate run for their money. Sadly though, ubuntu/canonical wants to play games with a left side dock touting its usability against Windows because it can finally resume from standby without crashing. Zorin wants to claim to help transition users from the Windows OS by being linux that has that familiar Windows look and feel to it, yet so sorry, our installer does'nt really work (os5) and compiz crashes just cuz thats what compiz does. But it's ok Zorin ROCKS cuz we found out how to remove the trash bin from the dock...gimme a break.

The time has come for the leaders of team Canonical, and team Zorin and a few others to really wake up and realize that with the trends in tech devices that ARE being bought, that linux is in the environment and era to really stand out and shine. Good God, people do you realize that with proper porting I could natively run puppy linux on MOST current cell phones and tablets? Not because puppy linux is awesome but because mobile devices have become well endowed hardware wise.

Zorin tablet edition could be on tablets, Zorin lite on cellphones, Zorin desktop on notebooks/netbooks/desktops. Instead, though we are highly focused on the fact that we have our new and improved browser manager WOW. Give me a break, like I can't just use the terminal or the software center or synaptic to install firefox right. Not that it matters because the installer wont work anyway and if it does compiz will crash cuz thats what compiz does!

The trend in the linux world if ANYONE complains is: if you dont like it then make your own distro, or make your own driver or compile your own binaries etc. ENOUGH ALREADY. I get it, your not paid to do what you do. I understand that. Do you understand: that mentality is not an acceptible excuse to hide behind? $120.00 for an OS that works on 99.9% of all hardware; painlessly, effortlessly, with full support of every kind is a small price to pay. Linux distro teams should'nt be taking an oh-well posture EVER, quite simply put: you can't afford it.

I can't afford the time and expense of college training to use your FREE OS, nor should I have to. Despite my love of Zorin 5, and Ubuntu 10.04 computer users that need to do serious work need to have stability in the equipment they work on. They want to LOVE Zorin or whatever their favorite distro is but no one can afford to spend 40-80% of their interaction with their computer tracking down all the issues and bugs.

This is a long winded post but it needed to be said. Linux has come a long way in just the last 5 years, much of that has been because of dedicated efforts of the people of team Zorin and team Ubuntu, etc. But, we must not stop here, we must try even harder to make Zorin a true contender with Windows. To make it seamless, RELIABLE, and most importantly CONVENIENT, to a people that for the most part don't want to learn about computers they just want to use them.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09:05 am

Hi g2k,

you make some valid points in your post!!.

sadly; part of the problem with Linux and hardware is the reluctance of some hardware devs (companies) to release the source codes for their hardware thus making things difficult for the "Free OS" world.

Some Linux variants have got it right and some haven't, some sit on their laurels believing that because one of their previous OS'es worked well, the latest one will also do the same.

I also have an Nvidia card which works well under other Linux distro's but sadly at the moment; not well under Zorin 6!. (The devs know about the problem!!)

Sadly, there are very few "Out-of-the-box" variants of Linux, Zorin tries its best but when a problem arises, it can be frustrating espsecially as a newcomer.

I think I speak for all the mods (and the other active members) on this forum when I say that we will do our best to help you (or anyone else for that matter) where we can; and I hope that your current problem(s) will soon be resolved!!.

One final point I would like to make is that Ubuntu doesn't get it right all the time time, there are still a few problems with U12.04 even after such a long time after its initial release, Ubuntu will in time time deal with the problems I am sure, that said, the knock-on effect is felt by the devs of the OS'es based on Ubuntu!!.

And as they say in Germany: "Hope is the last thing that dies".

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26:26 am

All I can say is that Zorin6 is based in ubuntu 12.04 which is an LTS version, so hopefully the devs are working to resolve all problems.

g2k

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:31:27 am

Wolfman wrote:sadly; part of the problem with Linux and hardware is the reluctance of some hardware devs (companies) to release the source codes for their hardware thus making things difficult for the "Free OS" world.

I'm not calling anyone out or anything but, I find this to be the biggest curtain the various distro makers hide behind.
there is no problem in the world of computing that money can't fix.
Nvidia, ATi, AMD, Intel, Asus, Phoenix, they all have one thing in common, they all want to make more money.

The open source GPL may state that all source code remain free, and be available to view by all; but there is nothing stopping the purchasing of Nvidia's code for purposes of making a better distro.

Also, there is no ~legal~ issue with a distro maker having a free OS, but requiring payment for some non open source drivers: see Apples' business model.

I think I speak for all the mods (and the other active members) on this forum when I say that we will do our best to help you (or anyone else for that matter) where we can; and I hope that your current problem(s) will soon be resolved!!.

This is a true statement, ALL of the expansion done in the ENTIRE world of linux has come by the FORMIDABLE DEDICATION OF the "user community". The people that hang out in forums like Zorin group are truly a blessing to all. Without their patience and kindness NOBODY would be a linux USER.

One final point I would like to make is that Ubuntu doesn't get it right all the time time, there are still a few problems with U12.04 even after such a long time after its initial release,

Another true statement. In fact it underscores my inital rant: linux distros get it wrong more often than they get it correct. This is the fundamental reason that Zorin is SO IMPORTANT.

Ubuntu will in time time deal with the problems I am sure, that said, the knock-on effect is felt by the devs of the OS'es based on Ubuntu!!.

This statement is completely wrong. Mark Shuttleworth has stated on many occasions that: "The reason Canonical devs dont have hardware address the kernel the same way (like Microsoft does with windows) is so that the linux kernel can be whatever they (Canonical/Ubuntu devs) need it to be".

What this means to team Zorin is this: every time Ubuntu releases, ALL the ground rules change for Zorin.

This causes Zorin group to have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, CONTINUOUSLY. So, if Ubuntu is 90% "there" each release cycle, Then Zorin has to be 100% "there" just to be running at 90%. That is a fools errand!

Zorin needs to pick a kernel, say 2.6.3 for older hardware, and develop the hell out of it and only it, until it works on ANY system that uses the 2's (SATA 2, DDR2, USB2 type hardware). Then they can pick a kernel like 3.1 and develop that kernel and only that kernel for this newer hardware: USB3, DDR3, SATA3 etc.

If ubuntu wants to use kernel 9.1.5.9.8 in ubuntu 14.04 let them, Zorin uses kernel 3.1, develops kernel 3.1, applies updates to kernel 3.1 to satisfy new developments in computing hardware, like GPU's instead of CPU's, catch my drift?

This way the poor devs don't have to re-learn everything every 12 months.

Then maybe team Zorin could have the time to develop Zorin Mobile for mobile architectures, all while having an easier time with everything else in THEIR eco system.

Remember Windows 95 had a taskbar with a start button on one end and a clock on the other.

So did Win98, Win ME, Win2000, Win XP, Vista, and 7. Change isnt always necessary or wanted in computing.

Windows/Microsoft knows this, Apple knows this, and the time has come for linux to know this too.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:52:33 am

Hi g2k,

well lets hope that some people read posts like yours and listen to some wise words of wisdom!. Common sense is lacking on many fronts by some devs, they not only need to look ahead; but left and right too!!.

g2k

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:22:38 pm

Indeed. In fact the more I study/use the different linux distros the more I see a type of fragmentation that's plagueing the world of the Android/AOSP universe.

In their case the problem isn't getting Android to work on the devices as much as it is trying to get some kind of uniformity in instruction sets vs API handling so that the "twitter app" can be 1 app for all android devices instead of needing 156 variations due to minor dissimilarities between device manufacturers.

It's almost comical in a way as you've got Windows, which just simply works.

You've got Android, which gets you the mobile devices/great battery life but also brings to the table the MONUMENTAL capacity to deliver YOUR contacts/calendar/bookmarks/notes/agenda to ANY Android device should yours get lost,stolen or broken.

And you've got Linux/Mac that's BULLETPROOF to ALL viruses and COMPLETELY customizable to each users likings.

Sooner or later somebody (who shall remain nameless) is gonna make an operating system that won't be called (OS-WON), that works on ALL hardware/devices, has great battery life, is COMPLETELY customizable, has COMPLETE restoration capability of all your PIM DATA, and is BULLETPROOF to ALL viruses, and they are going to be (KING)...lol

g2k

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16:14 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Linux and Mac is only bulletproof if you know the correct vest to wear. In the case of ALL operating systems, it only needs poor user intervention to break any! Take the issue I raised about a theme from gnome-look.org that was a tarball - because the user did not check the script contents it wiped their drive - and their has been a big glitch in Mac's recently. At the end of the day Flash is the main culprit and the weakest link in any security - on ANY OS (as per these geek fests that look at how to break into OSes) - Got Flash? Got trouble heading your way! Remember, all OSes are built by Humans - while that happens there are always going to be leaks - even Daleks climb on Dustbins sometimes! :D

True enough, I was more speaking in relative terms of linux/mac vs windows virus maladies, some of which is caused simply by Windows being the most widely used OS on computers. I agree anything made by man can, obviously, be broken by man.

Still though, imagine having your phone/netbook/laptop/desktop/tablet/server; all running the same OS with each incarnation optimized for the given device. Cloud synced PIM with full support offered by the maker thereof.

I'd buy that for a dollar...lol

madvinegar

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52:02 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:even Daleks climb on Dustbins sometimes! :D

LooooooooooooooooooL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

amsweitzer

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:42:20 am

everyone ranting about problems with ubuntu and zorin i might as well put my input in i bought zorinos5 ultimate about a year ago now i wanted to distro upgrade it broke the system horribly i could take the time to fix it but NOT i'm not going to donate to the zorin project everytime a new stable release is out if zorin wants to be serious then they should include a repository thats not conical which doesnt play nice with zorin tonight im downloading ultimate edition 3.4 which is stable has pretty much everything zorin has and they 1 are free and 2 have their own repository with zorin pretty much anything past core anyone can download the software them selfs through software center

Wolfman

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:09:40 am

Hi,

you should PM the devs directly and make them aware of your suggestion!!.

zorinfan247

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49:16 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi g2k,

you make some valid points in your post!!.

sadly; part of the problem with Linux and hardware is the reluctance of some hardware devs (companies) to release the source codes for their hardware thus making things difficult for the "Free OS" world.

Some Linux variants have got it right and some haven't, some sit on their laurels believing that because one of their previous OS'es worked well, the latest one will also do the same.

I also have an Nvidia card which works well under other Linux distro's but sadly at the moment; not well under Zorin 6!. (The devs know about the problem!!)

Sadly, there are very few "Out-of-the-box" variants of Linux, Zorin tries its best but when a problem arises, it can be frustrating espsecially as a newcomer.

One final point I would like to make is that Ubuntu doesn't get it right all the time time, there are still a few problems with U12.04 even after such a long time after its initial release, Ubuntu will in time time deal with the problems I am sure, that said, the knock-on effect is felt by the devs of the OS'es based on Ubuntu!!.

And as they say in Germany: "Hope is the last thing that dies".

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree with you but, microsoft is costly for that support which I (and many other folks) can't afford. It should not make us less of a customer either yet in my experience if you are not paying mostly you get crappy help if any with windows at least with linux the community they try to help. I try not complain too much just find a fix or come here state the problem to get help not ranting cause it never fixes anything plus a little patience and searching might find the answer. I try to be part of the soulution not adding more bad to it sort of like bad press. I use linux everyday so why complain if I don't like it just go buy something else if I am not satisfied.