This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dualboot Wind.8 Zorin 8

blfriis

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32:48 pm

Hi does anyone knows if it would be possible to make dualboot between windows 8 and the next Zorin :?:

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:59:12 am

At the moment, this is likely to depend on how Windows 8 and UEFI develop as much as Zorin and how accessible it is to disable UEFI and enable legacy BIOS. What I could try to do in a few weeks is to try and dig out an old drive and attempt such a thing but don't know if it is possible on an 'old machine' I would love to get my mits on a Windows 8 machine to 'experiment' on but that is not going to happen any time soon! LXF (Linux Format Magazine) have had varying results when trying to do just that - so it is still unclear. I did post a guide in the How-to's section (a tar.gz LibreOffice document) which was an article that appeared in an older LXF magazine, but does not specifically look at dual-boot - the only GNU/Linux OS they had success with was with Arch OS which is not for the faint hearted!

Wolfman

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56:53 am

Hi,

this is for Ubuntu in general I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7gWIkAY7s

Regards Wolfman :D

blfriis

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:10:39 am

It's just becourse a friend of mine used zorin on his old laptop, and now he has bought a new and would like to have zorin again.I wasn't able to install zorin in dual, but I managed to install Ubuntu in dual..so I was hoping it was possible to install Zorin when the next release arrives..

Wolfman

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:34:30 am

Hi,

if you could install Ubuntu, there isn't any reason I can think of that would stop you installing Zorin as it has Ubuntu as its base, that said; I don't know what type of PC your friend has and cannot really comment, as long as UEFI is disabled in BIOS, you should be able to install any other OS on the HDD unless it has some form of other security that we aren't aware of!.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:32:36 pm

Hi Wolfman, I believe that Ubuntu has it's own EFI keys - another poster wanted to know why Zorin doesn't - well it is a 'fork' that is why! ;)

blfriis

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:38:55 pm

Thank you both for your answers.I will try in the next couple of day's to play around with it, and I let you know how it goes..

Anonymous

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:54:00 am

Datek1 had the new Windows 8.1 RTM working as a dual-boot along side Zorin OS 7.
So I would say any > Zorin OS 7 or newer should be just fine.
The new release seemed to have an option > boot screen inside Windows 8.1 RTM similar to grub.
I wasn't around to much when Datek was experimenting with the two together.
I just remeber briefly that the two worked together ok.

Hope this sheds some light to the matter.
Hope this helped a little.
Gizzy

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43:56 am

Hi Gizzy, thanks for your input! :D

blfriis

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56:28 pm

As promissed I have been playing, but it endded up in a trible boot instead of a dualboot sorry, but it's the only way I know.But it would be grat if the next Zorin would have the uefi included :)
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5583

Wolfman

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31:37 am

blfriis wrote:As promissed I have been playing, but it endded up in a trible boot instead of a dualboot sorry, but it's the only way I know.But it would be grat if the next Zorin would have the uefi included :)
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5583

Hi blfriis,

can you explain what you mean by "Triple Boot", do you have other OS'es on your PC?.

blfriis

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:36:04 am

Yes I have windows 8- and zorin 7 64b - and Ubuntu 13.04 64b installed on the same HHD.. hope it makes sence.. My english spelling aint that good.;)

Pierre

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52:05 pm

if Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu, - then would it not keep the Ubuntu EFI key?.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:53:19 pm

Hi Pierre, basically a lot of the core stuff is based on Ubuntu but forks means that somethings will get left out - I don't have the need for 'EFI' which is what comes with Ubuntu from what I have read.

If you have a machine that does not have a UEFI BIOS it is possible to have multi windows and multi GNU/Linux OS's on one machine - I have 3 hard drives and I put Win 8.1 preview at the end of the biggest with 3 GNU/Linux distros in front (not a good idea really - but I am only experimenting with 8.1 - so if it goes west it goes west! :D

blfriis

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:18:16 am

Hi Swarfendor437 do you know if EFI will be included in the next Zorin OS release?.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17:36 am

blfriis wrote:Hi Swarfendor437 do you know if EFI will be included in the next Zorin OS release?.

Hi blfriis,

I think it is an integral part of Ubuntu so I would assume so??.

The next major problem with Ubuntu might be MIR in Ubuntu 14.10?:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-1 ... 1713.shtml

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04:51 pm

Hi sorry for the absence but things are busy for me right now - covering all options (and because of legalities) had to rebuild my website with a new name! Anyhow, I don't think Zorin can come with EFI unless it sets up it's own key - the key that comes with Ubuntu is Ubuntu SPECIFIC!
Whilst on the subject of UEFI (Secure Boot) here is something to note before enabling legacy mode. On an Acer Netbook at work I have been messing with Windows 8 starter BIOS settings as there was an issue with some software that is not compatible so I thought I would boot from my memory stick with Ultimate Edition 3.0 and try wine with it - you have to leave UEFI enabled whilst you change the boot order of your devices BEFORE you enable LEGACY BIOS! :D