This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Using Wine

AnnieMac

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:56:11 pm

I am very new to Zorin, about 3-4 days now. I have Zorin/WindowsVista partitions on this pc, and I would like to install Games from Vista.

I have been trying (via Zorin menu), but have had no luck. It's just a case of trial and error on my part, and I've had no luck. I just don't know what I'm doing. I appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide. Thanks! Btw, I really like Zorin quite a bit so far.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:25:07 pm

You would be best checking the compatibility list here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

Cross-over is the commercial side of Wine - if it won't run on Cross-over it is unlikely it will run under wine.

You could also try PlayOnLinux and check their listings.

If just using WINE, open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
winecfg
and change default Windows version to 'Vista':

34.png

AnnieMac

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:24:34 pm

It looks like the games are not compatible. I also tried on PlayOnLinux and no luck. I did go to the Software Center and was able to get PySol. So all was not a lost cause. :D

Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:38:21 am

For one to have great success with Wine/Play on Linux.
One has to look into the requirements for the said application/game before installing.
Examples : Dirx Java Net Framework 2.0 and so on.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:17:41 am

Another useful tool here - you also may need to add the .dll's needed in another tab:

http://dependencywalker.com/

AnnieMac

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:18:28 am

Thank you Gizmuntu and Swarfendor! This should keep me busy for awhile. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:49:00 am

Just for clarity on dlls - they are under the 'Libraries' tab - and if there is one that is not listed, just add the name manually! :D

AnnieMac

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:07:19 pm

Thanks again! I think I really need a tutorial or a youtube demo showing how to install a non-listed program. I'll be checking for them.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16:43 am

Hi,

make sure when using Wine to install the package "mono-compete", this is the Linux version of "MS NetFramework":

Via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Quote:

What exactly is Mono?
When Microsoft unleashed .NET onto the world they were nice enough to hand the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI), along with the C# language, to the people at the European Computer Manufactures Association, better known to most as the ECMA. This allowed for an ECMA standards for the CLI and C# to be developed and, eventually, these ECMA standards also became ISO standards. At this stage you might be thinking "So, what has this got to do with what Mono is?" Relax, slow down, I'm getting to it. This standardization meant that details about how a CLI implementation should work, and also details about the C# programming language, where publicly available and anybody with the time and desire could implement their own CLI, essentially making their own version of .NET. Mono was born.

Mono is an "open source development platform based on the .NET framework that allows developers to build Linux and cross-platform applications with unprecedented productivity". At the time of writing this article the latest stable version of Mono is 1.0.5 and it provides the following features:

•A Common Language Runtime (CLR) that is compatible with the ECMA standard
•A C# compiler
•A set of class libraries
•Ancillary tools such as a disassembler, debugger, IDE, etc.
Although it may not sound like much to many, what the people behind the Mono project have achieved is quite impressive. The set of class libraries available with mono include implementations of ADO.NET, ASP.NET, and System.Windows.Forms as well as many other aspects of the BCL that .NET developers will be familiar with. Added to this is the Gtk# library which is a fully featured library that allows for the development of GUI apps on top of the gtk+ toolkit. All in all, quite impressive.

With Mono you can develop and run .NET applications on Linux, Windows and other platforms. You can build and deploy ASP.NET application on Linux servers. You can even run applications that you compiled using the Microsoft C# compiler on the Mono runtime and vice versa.

Source:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/940 ... t-Mono-app

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41:26 am

Brilliant post Wolfman - thanks for the detailed information - 360 blue jewels to you sir! (Wish it could be Bit Coins! ;) )

nicolbiden

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:03:27 am

More about....Common Language Runtime

Biden