This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Disappointed with Ultimate 9 NON-install

snydley100

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19:38 am

I don't get it!
I have an Alienware 14, 16G Ram, I7 Intel processor, 750G hard drive, Nvidia GTX video & Intel video, dual booting Zorin 9 Core and Windows 7 Ultimate. I've never had a worse experience burning an ISO EVER, and I've been doing this for years!! I've installed Zorin 8, 9 RC, and 9 CORE with no problems, they run great on this machine. I thought I would buy the Ultimate edition, since I like Zorin so well, and wanted to donate my money.
Zorin 9 Ultimate download will not install!! Burning the ISO, then booting it goes to the splash screen and then drops to a black screen of text and then freezes and requires a hard reset to get out of it.
If I boot to the disc and press F1, I get the options menu, I press F6 and replace nomodeset with vga=771, then select the test disc option, after a few minutes I start getting errors, overwriting the option screen itself saying:

Fnn: error RIRR reading sector 1951591 Fnn: error RIRR reading sector 1951870
Fnn: error RIRR reading sector 1951623 Fnn: error RIRR reading sector 1951655

and the errors continues,(different numbers), all the way down the screen until I press the power button to shut it down.
I have burned 3 disks. 2 on my laptop, 1 on my desktop, checked the Md5sum with Hash Checker, all check ok.
I tried to burn the ISO with UNetbootin, to 2 different 8G Kingston flash drives on both Zorin 9 Core, and Windows 7 Ultimate, and I get an error "copying file 252 of 451", (not sure of the 2nd number), but it freezes on file 252 every time, whether using Zorin 9 core or Windows. I used the Kingston format utility, reformatted them, tried again, and it freezes at file 252 every time! I don't believe my equipment is at fault, I've burned many disks, including Zorin 6.4, 7, 8, 9 RC, and 9 CORE, using the same laptop and DVDRs. I think there's a problem with the code in the ISO. Has anyone else had a problem installing the ISO since 7-24-14? I've tried burning the ISO to DVDRs on 2 different machines, and UNetbootin to flash drives on 2 different computers with the same errors everytime.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04:09 pm

Hi, you did extract the 7-zip file that downloaded didn't you and you checked the md5sum against the .zip file (NOT the extracted .iso - that is what I have found with earlier ultimate downloads). I always use md5sum free from winmd5.com to check md5sums in Windows and ONLY use imgburn (from imgburn.com) in Windows. I thought I had a faulty ultimate burn when installing but it does take an inordinate length of time to install compared to earlier versions - did you use the 'something else' method of installing? I would also follow this YouTube guide if dual-booting - am in process of doing a video on this but OpenShot seems a bit flakey in 9 so I may hve to do it in LXLE!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075#p28672

Lastly, two more things to consider:

1. You did not use any download accelerators

2. You have sometime in the life of your optical drives (dvd burner) life used one of these?:

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

snydley100

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, you did extract the 7-zip file that downloaded didn't you and you checked the md5sum against the .zip file (NOT the extracted .iso - that is what I have found with earlier ultimate downloads). I always use md5sum free from winmd5.com to check md5sums in Windows and ONLY use imgburn (from imgburn.com) in Windows. I thought I had a faulty ultimate burn when installing but it does take an inordinate length of time to install compared to earlier versions - did you use the 'something else' method of installing? I would also follow this YouTube guide if dual-booting - am in process of doing a video on this but OpenShot seems a bit flakey in 9 so I may hve to do it in LXLE!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075#p28672

Lastly, two more things to consider:

1. You did not use any download accelerators

2. You have sometime in the life of your optical drives (dvd burner) life used one of these?:

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

Thanks for the reply!

Notes!
1. I checked the Md5Sum of the 7z file NOT the iso, using Hash Checker and WinMD5Sum, they checked good.
2. I extracted the ISO using the archive manager in Zorin
3. Burned the DVDs using K3b, Brasero, and ImgBurn in Windows, all finished with Success.
4. I know how to install and dual boot. I set up my partitions before the install using a LIVE DVD, and select "Something Else" during the install. I've done this successfully with Zorin since I found Zorin6 on Distrowatch last year,
and with Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, and Ubuntu before that
5. I use Firefox to download the 7z file with NO accelerator.
6. When booting the DVD it goes from the splash screen to a black screen with the error:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)
7. Burning with UNetbootin to 2 different Kingston 8G flash drives, not at the same time, I get an error: copying file 252 of 451,(not sure of the last number), the process stops at 252 and freezes the laptop. It takes a hard reset to boot again. I reformatted the flash drives with the Kingston format utility and did it again. FAILED AGAIN at file 252.
8. This computer was new in Oct. 13, used in a clean environment with no kids or smokers. I've never needed to use a disc drive cleaner ever.
I've been using computers since DOS 2.2, before Windows, and using Linux for about 5 years. I'm quite proficiant at it, but this bug has me stumped.
I appreciate any and all help,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:01:37 pm

OK with regards the fact it is ultimate, I never got that to run on a memory stick (unetbootin did not support it when I was trying to install Zorin 5 Ultimate to memory stick but I could core and wondedered if it had something to do with the special Zorin packages?). I only mentioned the issue of the optical drive as another forum member was having difficulties with Zorin 5 some time ago and it turned out that the lense needed cleaning - even dust can cause issues - but the fact that you had a successful burn has me stumped - have you tried it in any other machine (if you have one to hand)?

Do you get the keyboard together with the accessibility option at boot time (Pale bluish screen)?

snydley100

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08:43 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK with regards the fact it is ultimate, I never got that to run on a memory stick (unetbootin did not support it when I was trying to install Zorin 5 Ultimate to memory stick but I could core and wondedered if it had something to do with the special Zorin packages?). I only mentioned the issue of the optical drive as another forum member was having difficulties with Zorin 5 some time ago and it turned out that the lense needed cleaning - even dust can cause issues - but the fact that you had a successful burn has me stumped - have you tried it in any other machine (if you have one to hand)?

Do you get the keyboard together with the accessibility option at boot time (Pale bluish screen)?

The Help Desk was finally able to help, turns out I didn't have a problem at all, the blue screen was timing out before I finally "pressed any key". Alot of other things have been going on here and I just wasn't paying close enough attention when I was trying to install it.vAll is good now.
Thanks for the help,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:07:01 pm

Hi Glad you are sorted - hoping to get the install video up soon! OpenShot keeps crashing - on both linux distros based on Ubuntu 14.04! :(