This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading core to premium and other questions

tippy25

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:43:10 am

I have some questions since I'm a total newb to linux. I tried out 5.2 core 64 bit to make sure that it works on my system, and to my delight, it does. I decided I wanted to upgrade to 5.2 ultimate, but i'm not sure how to proceed. Should I just totally delete the partition where 5.2 core is already installed and go through the setup again? Also, I have 2 HDDs, one with Windows 7 (which I still love, just getting too slow) and the other had all my music, pictures, and videos. Zorin decided it wanted to install on the multimedia drive, and I didn't see any option to change it.

Another thing I'd like to do is get my W7 desktop to run simultaneously alongside Zorin. For some reason, Opera is faster in Windows 7, at least when it comes to loading pages, and I have several programs that I'd like to keep natively in Windows because I'm unsure on their support in WINE, like MATLAB, AutoCAD, Evernote, mostly stuff for classes. Also, how does MS Office 2010 work in WINE? It's one of the not slow programs I have left in W7.

Does Rainmeter work in Zorin? Is there a good dock that has stacks and doesn't require the OSX look? Here's my desktop in W7 in case you're curious.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59:03 am

Hi,

you can start here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

W7 should be installed first (already). Word should work with Wine, you can use "Docky" if you wish; for a dockbar.

For Rainmeter please see:

http://alternativeto.net/software/rainm ... form=linux

I would also wait for the next version of Zorin; which shouldn't be too long now instead of installing Zorin Ultimate in its current form!!. And yes!, you should re-install over your previous installation!!.

Regards Wolfman :D