This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin OS 6 32-bit install in non-pae cpu

spavila

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36:23 am

Just downloaded the Zorin OS 6 32-bit version.
However, my computer does not have pae support.
Will non-PAE netboot Minimal ISO work for Zorin OS 6??

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47:30 am

Zorin 6 comes with generic-pae kernel already installed. This is done, I presume, so as to be able to recognize and use more than 4gb of ram even in 32bits.

I do not think that you will have any problem. You can try loading the live session (live cd or live usb) and see if everything works out without any problem before installing.

spavila

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08:49 am

When booting the live DVD, I selected Boot the Live System. Then, I pressed the TAB key and removed quiet splash before booting so that I could see the text while the DVD was booting. I saw the following text during boot up:

Loading /casper/vmlinuz
Loading /casper/initrd.gz ... ready.
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae

Unable to boot -- please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33:19 am

What are the specs of your pc/laptop?

spavila

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39:11 am

Brand: Gateway
Model: 3522GZ
Operating System: Zorin OS 5.2 32-bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M 725 processor 1.60 GHz
Memory: 1.5 GB
Hard Disk Drive: Fujitsu MHT2060 A 60 GB 5400 rpm
Sound: ICH4 – Intel 82801DB-ICH
Graphics: Intel 852GME
DVD-RW: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532A

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43:57 am

Open terminal and write

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae

and see if you get any results. If not, this means that your cpu does not have pae support.

If this is indeed the case, probably we will have to wait and see if the Zorin devs will prepare a non-pae mini netboot iso for zorin6. (pae comes preinstalled in ubuntu 12.04 and since Zorin 6 is based on 12.04... it has pae preinstalled too).

Like it has been done with ubuntu 12.04 http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-i ... n-pae.html

spavila

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:51:52 pm

madvinegar wrote:Open terminal and write

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae

and see if you get any results. If not, this means that your cpu does not have pae support.

If this is indeed the case, probably we will have to wait and see if the Zorin devs will prepare a non-pae mini netboot iso for zorin6. (pae comes preinstalled in ubuntu 12.04 and since Zorin 6 is based on 12.04... it has pae preinstalled too).

Like it has been done with ubuntu 12.04 http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-i ... n-pae.html

I tried this and there were no results; therefore, my cpu does not have pae support.
Hopefully the Zorin developers will prepare a non-pae mini netboot.
Will check back from time to time...

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13:06 pm

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:14:32 pm

WM you can only enable pae if you cpu supports it. However, the link is very useful!

spavila

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:29:28 pm

Everything I am reading on the Internet is saying that Ubuntu 12.04 is using the PAE Linux kernel for 32bit ISO; therefore, old computers not supporting PAE will not boot.

http://askubuntu.com/a/149390

madvinegar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45:28 am

Correct. For ubuntu 12.04 the devs have supplied a non-pae iso. Lets wait to see if the Zorin devs will do something similar.

spavila

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57:57 am

The Zorin 6 32-bit ISO that I downloaded from the Zorin-OS website will not boot because my computer's CPU does not have PAE. After searching the Internet and reading about the Ubuntu 12.04 installation process and system requirements, non-PAE processors, and Remastersys; I was able to make a bootable live DVD of Zorin OS 6 32-bit.

These are the steps I took:

1. I installed Zorin OS 6 32-bit on one of my computers that has a CPU that can handle PAE.
2. Need to replace the current kernel with a generic (non-pae).
a) Open terminal and type: apt-get-install linux-image-generic. Did a reboot and booted with the generic kernel to make sure everything was working properly.
b) Delete pae kernel. Open terminal and type: apt-get remove linux-image-generic-pae
3. At this point, I ran Remastersys. I searched for it in the GUI menu but could not find it. Opened Software Center and it said Remastersys was installed but for terminal use only. While researching, I read that Remastersys must have ubiquity and ubiquity-frontend-gtk; therefore, I used software center and installed it. Open a terminal: sudo remastersys dist. Let Remastersys do its thing. It will create an ISO file and MD5sum file in the /home/remastersys/remastersys folder. Doubled checked the MD5sum of the iso and it was a match. Burned the ISO.
4. See if this newly created live DVD will work on my computer that does not have pae capabilities. The live DVD took several minutes to boot; but the desktop finally showed up!!!

At this time, I have not selected the install option. I'll report back and let you know what happens.

The links below were helpful:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/151322/how-to-replace-a-pae-kernel-with-non-pae-kernel
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9556227

Here is a screenshot: notice my CPU and the kernel being used

madvinegar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16:39 am

Excellent! Respect to spavila !!! :D
Let us know if the installation has gone through without any problems!

spavila

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40:05 am

I have just installed Zorin OS 6 32-bit on my non-PAE old laptop. I am now running on the hard drive instead of the live DVD. Everything seems to be running okay as of now. The boot time takes a little longer compared to Zorin OS 5.2.

Here is another screenshot:

madvinegar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44:30 am

Just great! Maybe we can use your post as a sticky. Swarf what do you think?

Brad55

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:49:45 pm

I have a question about the non PAE.

First off I have a Toshiba Satellite MX35 which I know does not support PAE but I can get a version of Ubuntu 12.04 running on it with this ISO https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/930447/comments/84 and installing the classic desktop. Not really the best looking DE but it works. The compiz is messed up but I can work with out it, because I'm looking more for a LTS OS.

I also have a dual boot HD which has Windows XP and Fedora 14 (outdated). This version of Fedora works great and the compiz works. I really don't want to remove this version till I know that most everything works.

Now to my question, I would like to know if I could install Zorin 6 32bit on to a Flash Drive or into Virtualbox and make a Zorin 6 3bit non PAE ISO? Then I could test this out on my other laptop.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:11:50 am

Hi Brad,

I don't think PAE will work on your rig because it doesn't have a multicore CPU!!.

You can check this link out if you wish:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE/

There should be nothing stopping you running a USB stick in live mode or even maybe virtual box (don't use it so can't say!).

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Brad55

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:59:23 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Brad,
I don't think PAE will work on your rig because it doesn't have a multicore CPU!!.
There should be nothing stopping you running a USB stick in live mode or even maybe virtual box (don't use it so can't say!).
Hope it helps.
Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman my laptop does not have PAE support in the cpu thats my problem with this old computer. Both the Fedora 14 and the Ubuntu 12.04 are non PAE generic kernels. The ISO in the link is a non PAE kernel Ubuntu version and not in the main stream.

I would like to get an ISO from spavila with Zorion 6 non PAE kernel and try it out on my laptop.

spavila

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44:54 pm

Hi Brad,

Here is my two cents worth....

From reading your post, I am getting the impression you want to use Zorin OS 6 32-bit on your Toshibia laptop that does not have pae support. On your second computer that has Windows XP and Fedora, does it have pae support?? Use the cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae command as suggested by Madvinegar to find out. In making my non-pae ISO, I had to actually install it physically on a hard drive. I burned the Zorin OS 6 32-bit on a DVD and installed it on my pae supported computer. Perhaps if you are able to install it on your computer with Windows XP/Fedora, you can use the something else selection and install Zorin OS 6 if you have enough space on your hard drive, then continue with the steps I took.

Second suggestion (not sure if this would work). On your computer with Windows XP/Fedora, boot up with a Zorin OS 6 live either by DVD or flash. Insert another flash drive 16 GB or larger and see if you can install it here, then continue with the steps I took.

I also read in your post about using a Virtual machine. The only comment I have is that Remastersys will not work in a virtual machine as it will produce errors if you plan on following the steps I took in making a non-pae ISO.

Last resort: I am willing to share my non-pae Zorin OS 6 32-bit ISO. I am just not sure what is the proper way of sharing it as I do not want to violate any rules of the Zorin Forum.

Brad55

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21:36 pm

spavila The HD with XP & Fedora is just another HD that I put in the same laptop. Is what I'm thinking of doing is installing it on my desktop at home and making a non PAE version. I'll have to see what happens and will let you know. I'm going home this week, but I also have to setup my wife's computer with Zorin 6 and try to get WOW installed and playable on it. She does not like W7 and XP is not going to be supported after the end of the year. I'll have to make Zorin look like XP so she will use it. Has taken me more than 10 years to get her to even think about Linux. LOL

It sure would be nice to have the PMs let you put that ISO up, would save some people a lot of time and headaches.

swarfendor437 nice wallpapers.

cobbinaloic

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:54:46 am

spavila wrote:I have just installed Zorin OS 6 32-bit on my non-PAE old laptop. I am now running on the hard drive instead of the live DVD. Everything seems to be running okay as of now. The boot time takes a little longer compared to Zorin OS 5.2.

Here is another screenshot:

Spavila, can you please upload your non-Pae version of of Zorin 6 on a sharing site so We can also try it.

luunatik12

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06:12 pm

hey spavila, could you post the non-pae version of zorin os for download? that would be helpful. and also time saving for many.