This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installation Error (ubiquity:3743): Gtk-WARNING**:

alpha1

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:26:20 pm

Hi again Guys
Well as i write this i am a bit disapointed to note that there are still issues with the installation of this OS and no inprovment as i can see from the main men in development
You still have issues with the installing process and this needs to be addressed.

Ok thus far - i screw up my 5.2Os and though i might move now to zorin 6
But this is not to be as the same old issues appear at the start - the os just will not install, or is this the case of the user.

Ok thus far i have download, checke, burned several copys of this Os but to no avail every time it is the same old error
Zorin 6 Core
Output on screen:------
(ubiquity:3743): Gtk-WARNING**:
Theme prasing error: natlies.css:18:20 Not using units is deprecated Assuming 'pk'
Theme prasing error: natlies.css:18:20 Not using units is deprecated Assuming 'pk'
Theme prasing error: natlies.css:31:0 ' sideb' is not a valid property name

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory cannot connect to the server socket
jack server is not running or can not be started
Home directory /home/live not ours

And at this point the sytem just hangs there
Steps thus far:-
I have left this to run overnight at this point
Checke CD Type - burned at slow speed
Check Sum
used diff Download sites - No inprovement

Tried using a Flash drive - No Joy same error

I just do not understand if this is based on Ubuntu
Why o why is it not easy to install from the go.

Guys i have used Zorin for a few months now and found it fast and pleasing - however i am at a loss as to why no inprovment has been made in the installation of the product am i the only one out her who seems to be having this same old problem.
I know the developers have worked hard on Zorin 6 but i feel somthing is missing here a trick or two.

Any other ideas that i have not tried or a trick or two to resolve this issue please.
Thanks

alpha1

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07:54 pm

alpha1 wrote:Hi again Guys
Well as i write this i am a bit disapointed to note that there are still issues with the installation of this OS and no inprovment as i can see from the main men in development
You still have issues with the installing process and this needs to be addressed.

Ok thus far - i screw up my 5.2Os and though i might move now to zorin 6
But this is not to be as the same old issues appear at the start - the os just will not install, or is this the case of the user.

Ok thus far i have download, checke, burned several copys of this Os but to no avail every time it is the same old error
Zorin 6 Core
Output on screen:------
(ubiquity:3743): Gtk-WARNING**:
Theme prasing error: natlies.css:31:0 ' sideb' is not a valid property name

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory cannot connect to the server socket
jack server is not running or can not be started

And at this point the sytem just hangs there
Steps thus far:-
I have left this to run overnight at this point
Checke CD Type - burned at slow speed
Check Sum
used diff Download sites - No inprovement

Tried using a Flash drive - No Joy same error

I just do not understand if this is based on Ubuntu
Why o why is it not easy to install from the go.

Guys i have used Zorin for a few months now and found it fast and pleasing - however i am at a loss as to why no inprovment has been made in the installation of the product am i the only one out her who seems to be having this same old problem.
I know the developers have worked hard on Zorin 6 but i feel somthing is missing here a trick or two.

Any other ideas that i have not tried or a trick or two to resolve this issue please.
Thanks

Just motice the following message guys during install stiill running:-
On my 12th attempt the system is now showing the following message:-

Aug 13 11:028:23 live dbus[1297]: [system] sucessfully activated service 'org.fr eedestop.rm_dispatcher'
Aug 13 11:028:23 live dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of ***.***..*** to ***.***.***.xxxport ***
Aug 13 11:028:23 live dhclient: DHCPACK of ***.***.***.*** from ***.***.***.***
Aug 13 11:028:23 live dhclient: bound to ***.***.***.*** - - renewal in 1733 seconds

This is new not seen before.

kengator

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56:56 am

Hi Alpha1.

Sorry to hear about your instl woes. I really don't believe that this is typical, though. I have a similar spec PC and had no issues. I booted from the Live CD (core) and had no issues. I then donated and got Zorin 6 ultimate and it installed flawlessly. Again, my PC is similar to yours right down to the integrated graphics. If this was MS, I'd say it sure smells like a virus.

Can you answer a couple of questions to clarify:

1. Is Zorin5.2 currently installed on your HD and running?
2. if yes, is it the only OS on your system?
3. Are you trying to completely replace your current OS or run side by side?
4. Can you successfully run Zorin 6 from a live CD that you burned? (I'm assuming that you burned an image disk and not a data disk)
4a. Is this the 32 bit version?
4b. What DVD burning software are you using?
5. Do you have a hardwire connection to the internet or are you wireless?
6. It sounds like the checksum matched what was on the Zorin website download page. True statement?

I don't mean to sound condescending. I'm just trying to check what can be different between your system set up and mine when I installed Zorin6. I still have my Zorin6 core CD and may try to replicate your problems on my system.

Please post the answers to the questions above and maybe Wolfman or Madvinegar can answer if I can't help--they're alot smarter than I am.

Best regards,

kengator

madvinegar

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45:42 am

Especially please answer question No4 of Kengator. Thanx.

alpha1

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:59:42 am

kengator wrote:Hi Alpha1.

Sorry to hear about your instl woes. I really don't believe that this is typical, though. I have a similar spec PC and had no issues. I booted from the Live CD (core) and had no issues. I then donated and got Zorin 6 ultimate and it installed flawlessly. Again, my PC is similar to yours right down to the integrated graphics. If this was MS, I'd say it sure smells like a virus.

Can you answer a couple of questions to clarify:

1. Is Zorin5.2 currently installed on your HD and running?
2. if yes, is it the only OS on your system?
3. Are you trying to completely replace your current OS or run side by side?
4. Can you successfully run Zorin 6 from a live CD that you burned? (I'm assuming that you burned an image disk and not a data disk)
4a. Is this the 32 bit version?
4b. What DVD burning software are you using?
5. Do you have a hardwire connection to the internet or are you wireless?
6. It sounds like the checksum matched what was on the Zorin website download page. True statement?

I don't mean to sound condescending. I'm just trying to check what can be different between your system set up and mine when I installed Zorin6. I still have my Zorin6 core CD and may try to replicate your problems on my system.

Please post the answers to the questions above and maybe Wolfman or Madvinegar can answer if I can't help--they're alot smarter than I am.

Best regards,

kengator

Thanks for the reply kengator

In reply
1 No
2 -
3 In the firest install i tried side by side that did not work so i haver opted for only OS
4 Yes no proble it is curently running live CD
4a Yes
4b K3b
5 Hardwire
6 Yes as K3b checks this auto.

I am currentley wipeing the hard drive and am re in stalling from nothing.
Thank you for your input and i am gratfull for your time
Again i have tried to install 5.2 os but that too has failed.
Thanks

madvinegar

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23:22 am

If it runs on live cd without problem, then it should 99% be installed without any problem.
Maybe you should check your hard drive for errors.

When you get into live mode, open "disk utility", select the hard drive from the list on the left and check the SMART status to see if your drive is healthy. Also run the smart data tests.

alpha1

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27:44 am

Hi Guys
I am also currently using PM to do sever checks on the system as a whole mainley the HDD
So Far All Test Completed without any Errors - no Issues have been found

madvinegar

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33:31 am

Ok then try this,

Try to perform the installation without internet. Unplug the ethernet cable and do not tick the boxes that state to update and install 3rd party software during installation.

alpha1

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:36:57 pm

madvinegar wrote:Ok then try this,

Try to perform the installation without internet. Unplug the ethernet cable and do not tick the boxes that state to update and install 3rd party software during installation.

Ok No Problem - Will do once the system has completed PM Erasing of the Drive

PM Erasing just completed
Now installing Zorin 6 no Ethernet

Responce thus far :-
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Still coping files

System now appear to have hung at its usual point under not ours on screen.

just reviewed the log it is the same error message from start to finish.

In additio i have tried to installk 5.2 that too also failed install crashed net thing to do is another machine.

UPDATE

Update on the 17th Attempt no network card connected the system reports Installation is now Compleat
Well done that man madvinegar.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19:05 pm

Hi,

you can pat MV on the back :D :D :D :D

Don't forget to update the system fully after install, I also recommend that you start the PC in "Recovery Mode" and run "fsck" to check your drive for damage, just in case the is something wrong with the drive!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

alpha1

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20:33 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you can pat MV on the back :D :D :D :D

Don't forget to update the system fully after install, I also recommend that you start the PC in "Recovery Mode" and run "fsck" to check your drive for damage, just in case the is something wrong with the drive!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

SOLVED

Hi Guys
Many Thanks for your assistance and a big thank you to MV.
Yes i have just finished updates a few issues but they were self evident and seem to have resolved themselves.
all thats left are minor ajustment which i need your help with -
namly my look changer - can not find as my task bar main menu has changed to a GnoMenu.
How can i return this to the Zorin Menu? so that i can also change my desktop to the revolving qube.
Thanks.

madvinegar

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43:27 am

Glad I helped my friend.

Press alt+F2 and in the window that will open write
look-changer

The look changer will open, choose the look you prefer, logout-login and hopefully everything will be in place.