This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Seems to hang on Creating User

b4d93r

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:39:25 pm

Good day everyone,

I'm currently moving away from Windows as my primary OS for everyday tasks and found ZorinOS and was quite impressed. I was using Mint but found I was trying to do to much fancy stuff and kept killing it. Don't get me wrong, I like mint and think it's a fine distro but gave me a little too much power. Zorin seems to be more of what I need and will help keep me from doing something stupid at least until I learn more! :lol:

So my question today is during the setup on my netbook and now my desktop it seems to "hang" or take a really long time at the "Creating user..." part. I was wondering if this was normal and should wait for it to finish or is it really finished but just stuck at this screen. On my netbook I shut it down and restarted after letting it sit for about 2 hours on that part. Zorin booted up fine and seems ok but I'm not sure about any possible missing items or data that didn't get completed. Basically is it a corrupt install?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

b4d93r

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34:47 pm

Here's an update. I discovered the option of expanding the output and this was there.

Code:
(ubiquity:8213): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(ubiquity:8213): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(ubiquity:8213): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name.

(ubiquity:8213): Gtk-WARNING **: error opening config file '/root/.pangorc': Permission denied.

Error opening file for reading: Permission denied
ERROR: Could not load classifier cascade /usr/share/opencv/haarcascades/haarcascade_frontalface_alt2.xml
update_release_notes_label()
update_release_notes_label()
Error opening file for reading: Permission denied

** (ubiquity:8213): Gtk-WARNING **: unable to create '.root/.cache/dconf' ; dconf will not work properly.

and thats where it sits.

b4d93r

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17:56 pm

Hmmm, Well, it seems that if you don't choose the encrypt home directory it completes the installation just fine.

madvinegar

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02:23 am

b4d93r wrote:Hmmm, Well, it seems that if you don't choose the encrypt home directory it completes the installation just fine.

Yes this is true. Many people have had problems when choosing to encrypt the home directory during installation.

b4d93r

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:20:34 pm

I ended up going without it. Although I would have liked to have had an excrypted home directory, help put my security paranoia to ease. ;-)

I did find on a couple of other sites that apparently it's an Ubuntu bug. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

b4d93r

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12:19 pm

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I can live without the encryption. It's just an added level.

Thanks everyone for you help on this. I'm really enjoying Zorin and with the current level of security, I haven't had the urge to do something stupid and mess it up. LOL

Wolfman

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18:06 am

Hi,

you can try this but I cannot say whether or not it will screw up the system afterwards:

http://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to- ... ng-ubuntu/

Regards Wolfman :D