This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Next Zorin OS LTS

oroles

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46:51 am

Hi!
I want to ask if I will be able to upgrade free my Zorin OS 6.2 Premium to the next LTS distribution?

Thank you!

Wolfman

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:26:38 am

Hi,

the answer is NO!, if you have a version of Zorin for which you made a donation, you will have to donate again for the next highest version.

Regards Wolfman :D

oroles

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:44:03 am

Ok!
I expect the next LTS and I will purchase for the new version.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43:50 am

Hi,

the next LTS version (should be Zorin 9 but I could be wrong there!) won't be out until at least late April of next year, the next version should be Zorin 8 but it will only be supported until July 2014. Zorin 7 support ends in Jan 2014!.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55:55 pm

Hi Wolfman, Does that include 7.1?

Wolfman

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02:05 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, Does that include 7.1?

Hi Swarf,

Zorin 7 is only supported until Jan 2014, I don't know if the next version of Zorin based on Ubuntu 13.10 will be called Zoin 7.1, I would assume it will be called Zorin 8??????????.

What I forgot to mention was that you can keep your data intact if you follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01:06 am

Hi Wolfman, What I meant was, is the current release, 7.1, also based on 13.04? (Same thing with Pear 8 - also based on 13.04). What I find hard to understand is why 12.10 runs out after 13.04!

jojothehobo

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21:47 pm

Hi All:
In the hope of clarifying the LTS solutions I thought I would add my 2c. I am running Zorin 6 LTS ultimate. It is based on Ubuntu 12.04. Since it is an LTS support should run until 17.04. As I recall, Ubuntu LTS releases occur, or used to occur, every two years. That would make the next LTS 14.04, which is what some one suggested above. In the past. LTS releases were supported for three years instead of the normal 2 years for non-LTS releases.

For Zorin, it seems as if there is a release every year, or twice a year. Thus Zorin 6 paired with Ubuntu 12.04, Zorin 7 with Ubuntu 13.04 etc. So the next LTS would correspond to Ubuntu 14.04 and Zorin 8.
Do I have that correct?

For what it is worth, I much appreciate the 5 year Long Term Release support cycle. When I was younger I had more time to work with Linux, learn it, modify stuff etc. Now I use it out of the box with some add ins, repository software, some PPA software and even (sorry!) a couple of commercial programs. I've come to prefer Zorin, and Linux over Windows for a number of reasons. In essence, it is less hassle , much more flexible and enables me to work with tools that I, or my employer, couldn't begin to afford in Windows. If a program is key to cash flow the company will buy the Windows or Linux version as appropriate.

Therefore, as a user I can comfortably and securely use my Linux version for four to five years, be updated and develop work flows that are productive. The changes over a two year period aren't large enough to make my computing environment dysfunctional or out of date. In my case, sometime after the 2016 LTS is released I'll prepare to transition to the next LTS, probably the Zorin corresponding to Ubuntu 16.04. I'll probably wait until late summer/early fall so the early bugs get discovered and patched. By that time I'm sure someone will have published an upgrade guide for dummies, I'll have backed up my data and off I'll go.

Using Windows, or Mac is like using the old telephone system. In my company we have daily debates about compatibility between Windows 7 and 8, SharePoint and SQL server 2008/2010/2013 etc and generally wasting a lot of time transforming data and procedures at our site or a customers site. Linux as an operating system is better than Windows for an individual. For gamers, or for companies using specialized tools then they need Windows for those specific tools.

all the best
jojo

madvinegar

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32:39 am

So the next LTS would correspond to Ubuntu 14.04 and Zorin 8.
Do I have that correct?

No. Zorin8 corresponds to ubuntu 13.10 which will be supported till july 2014.
Probably Zorin9 will pair with ubuntu 14.04 and will be the next LTS release of Zorin.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17:15 am

Hi all,

just to point out the end of life for support of Zorin 7 (Ubuntu 13.04):

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/ubun ... january-27

jojothehobo

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28:12 pm

madvinegar wrote:
So the next LTS would correspond to Ubuntu 14.04 and Zorin 8.
Do I have that correct?

No. Zorin8 corresponds to ubuntu 13.10 which will be supported till july 2014.
Probably Zorin9 will pair with ubuntu 14.04 and will be the next LTS release of Zorin.

Thanks madvinegar. That clarifies the situation for me.

Luca27

Fri May 23, 2014 7:15:28 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

the answer is NO!, if you have a version of Zorin for which you made a donation, you will have to donate again for the next highest version.

Hello!
...if I would to upgrade from Zorin OS 8.1 Core to the next future Zorin OS 9 (LTE) Ultimate? How would it works?
Thank you

Best regards,
Luca

Wolfman

Fri May 23, 2014 7:22:00 am

Hi,

follow this guide to keep ypur data intact:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

If you mean the cost, you will have to speak to the devs about that:

http://www.zorin-os.com/contacts.html

Luca27

Fri May 23, 2014 7:26:02 am

Thank you very much :)

Wolfman

Sat May 24, 2014 6:38:05 am

Hi,

is this solved now?. :D

Whitebird

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:27:42 pm

So, what is about Zorin OS 9, which is the release date, if anyone knows?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:30:24 am

Whitebird wrote:So, what is about Zorin OS 9, which is the release date, if anyone knows?

Nobody knows for sure, it is just a 'heuristic' that normally forks of Ubuntu are released between 2 and 3 months after the official Ubuntu release (and hopefully all bugs ironed out before it is - better to have a stable Zorin 9 and wait a bit longer than something that ends up a 'pig in a poke'). ;)

None of the mods are involved in the development side of things, but anyone is free to make suggestions in the Brainstorm/Development section of the forum so feel free as to what you would like to see present in the next release! :D

Whitebird

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16:25 am

Thanks for your response Swarfendor437!

Brockster

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15:26 pm

I downloaded the latest Zorin distro (8.0), but was disappointed to learn that support for it just ended, SO, I got the latest Ubuntu release (14.04 LTS), instead. I find that I really like the look and feel of Zorin, better, so I would like to switch to the next LTS version of Zorin as soon as it becomes available. I was wondering when it is expected, how long the Zorin LTS support period will be, and, how much trouble will it be to switch from Ubuntu to Zorin (in general terms)?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27:55 pm

It is available now!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7829