This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

AMD Radeon

lotussteve

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36:45 pm

Hi I am trying to run a live version of Zorin 8 on my Lenovo G500 which has Windows 8.1 [ which is a complete load of rubbish] installed at present. I have tried a USB stick and a burnt DVD. Both of which work on my other machines both windows and Linux.
I get the start screen and then choose run live session and although it seems as if the OS is installing I end up with a blank screen. I have then tried with the basic [safe] video with the same result.
I suspect that it is a problem with the Radeon driver, but having read other posts they all suggest installing Zorin or Ubuntu and then installing the up-dated driver. As I can't see whether it has installed I am at a loss.

Is my only hope to wait for a new version of the installer that has a new driver in it?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45:12 pm

Hi, I think madvinegar reported support with the release of Zorin 9 RC (release candidate):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7697#p37165

If you intend to dual boot with Windows 8.1 then take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

As for installing Zorin on its own you will need to enable legacy mode in the bios in order to install it - if you intend to do a total replacement of Windows 8.1 then you may also need to remove the UEFI key in the BIOS too, but make a note of what the entry is if ever you intended to sell your machine with Windows on it.

lotussteve

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22:37 pm

Thanks for the swift reply, I'll have a look at 9RC.

I wont be selling this laptop on as I wouldn't want to inflict W 8.1 on any one else.