This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin 9 and Ubuntu Tweak

ckrles

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19:50 pm

Hi everybody. Yesterday I installed Zorin 9 (it runs very smooth), but I've got a problem I couldn't solve.

After the installation I wanted to change my themes and do some other tweaks, so I decided to install the last version of Ubuntu Tweak (I tried both through the terminal and through the .deb package I downloaded from its official website). I did install it. However, I didn't manage to find it nor in the systems setting nor in the app menu. It simply wasn't there. I also tried to install unsettings through the terminal and got and error saying that the package could not be located.

I checked zorin forums and a user suggested that I installed dconf editor/tool. No luck either. So, what's wrong? Is it a bug or something? Because I'm currently running Zorin and it works like a charm, but I can't make Ubuntu tweak run in Zorin 9, which is pretty annoying.

Thank you very much.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:05:43 am

Hi, I am about to undertake a video of dual-booting install of Zorin 32-bit alongside Windows 7 32-bit the 'Matthew Moore' way - so please be patient and I (or another member or moderator) will respond. :D

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09:37 pm

Hi

I installed Gnome Tweak Tool from Software Center and with that I could customize windows and icon themes and with Compiz Configuration Mananger make some additional - like shadowing and wobbly windows.

Tweak tool.png

Tweak tool2.png

Windows don't look so white and are more eye friendly.

Tweak tool 3.png

I don't know whether this tool fulfills your needs.

ckrles

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:46:44 pm

Henriolavi, cheers!!! It worked like a charm.

Swarfendor437, thank you for your response. Henriolavi's alternative works, but I think it would be interesting to know why Ubuntu Tweak and Unsetting don't. So, when you are done with the dual boot video, could you tell us how to solve it_

Thank you very much.

Henriolavi

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:38:02 pm

Nice to hear that you got it working. In this screenshot I have changed the buttons to the new ones. I believe that this is something I am going to use. The color harmony is here very good and looks also more up to date windows theme now. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right combination of colors and shapes to the windows from the tweak tools.

Tweak tool 6.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35:50 am

To install Ubuntu Tweak go to this page:

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

And download the package near the top (0.8.7)

True you can't find it but open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) after you have installed and enter:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

and the interface will appear - not figured how to get an icon yet! :D

42.png

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52:41 am

Got it! Open the file icon on the panel, go to 'Computer' then click on magnifying glass to search for 'ubuntu-tweak' - when it has finished searching, copy icon that launches it to desktop:

08.png

Just to add, to be able to copy you will need to do this from a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal):

Code:
swarfendor437@win7zorin9:~$ cd ..
swarfendor437@win7zorin9:/home$ cd ..
swarfendor437@win7zorin9:/$ cd usr
swarfendor437@win7zorin9:/usr$ cd share
swarfendor437@win7zorin9:/usr/share$ sudo chown [yourusername] applications

You are changing ownership from root to yourself in order to access applications - Zorin have even locked this down! :evil:

Zorin_nishank

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28:11 am

Hi ,
there's another terminal window which is open and is running some installations ..... also my terminal is not granting me the ownership for applications it says denied or invalid ... i got the ubuntu tweak icon and everything
Please help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30:48 pm

Open a separate terminal window and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Don't use the terminal window or the one that opens (gui) after running this command.

If you have other processes running it may not be locked to 'root' if the processes running are installations. ;)