This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install help

The33Elites

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25:01 am

Noob here. My interest in the Linux has brought me here to try Zorin 9 as my first Linux distro. I have an older pc with Windows 7 64bit Installed.

My problem. My cd drive is broken and my only choice for install is usb.

Goal. I have 2 hd in my pc, my primary has Windows 7. I would like to install zorin 9 on my second hd. I have remove the volume and it is now listed as unallocated awaiting zorin 9 arrival

I have spent hours searching guides and tutorials that has got me no closer to installation. What I have tried so far; downloading both zorin 9 x86 and 64; installing both with unetbooter, universal usb, rufus, xboot. Results; no mbr found, blinking cursor (install freeze), blinking cursor then loading of Windows. I don't know how to download grub4dos or syslinux.

I'm at a dead end what am I doing wrong. What do I need to do?

Please do not send me dead links, I looked at most of them already

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13:45 pm

You don't even need a USB (I have yet to try this - if I do I will make a vid):

http://www.opensourceforu.com/2009/03/i ... om-an-iso/

The33Elites

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:18:51 am

"The only requirement is that you should have a pre-installed GNU/Linux system—which you already have, I assume."

This is my first install of Linux and I have a windows PC. Any other ideas?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:56:49 am

Oops! my bad - sorry! :oops:

This may be a better solution but not sure how it would translate for Zorin:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... VirtualBox

The33Elites

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17:33 am

so i'm pissed, i took my cd drive from my other shitty cpu, now zorin loads but gets stuck at the splash screen?

Wolfman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48:10 am

Hi,

when you install Linux, you must make sure that the "Bootlaoder" installs to dev/sda otherwise it won't find the boot manager, I assume that beause you have 2 drives, you are installing to dev/sdb and that is why there is no OS being found!.

See the partitioning guide for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

The33Elites

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39:43 pm

So for the people who are on WINDOWS systems and looking at all the misinformation out there, I figured this out. I almost quit and was heading to Ubuntu because of the limited support (Thank the people who tried). I don't know how well this will work for anyone else.

This is my first Linux distribution, I never had it installed before, I have Windows 7 64 bit (fairly old emachines 8gb ram installed only capable of using 4gb, on board gpu ati radeon xpress 200, Amd Athlon 64 processor 3500+) and 2 Hard drives, all standard nothing too fancy. My blank hard drive I used for Zorin OS 9.

So here is how it works, I had another crapped out emachines so I took out the old cddrive (CD-RW, DVD-R) and placed it in the other one. I used PowerIso on my HP PC to burn Zorin OS 9 64bit and 32 bits at lowest setting of 6x to disc with verify written data, success both times. Put them in my emachines and 32bit loaded and 64 bit loaded but would not install claiming disc error, but I didnt want 32 bit. So I went to re-download Z OS9 64 carefully re-burning to disc. Durning burn I thought why not just use PowerIso to extract Z OS 9 Iso to usb. Did that, plugged it in my emachines and it load fine, unlike before. Using all those programs (xboot, unetbootin, rufus, universal usb) was unnecessary, a simple Iso extractor like PowerIso or 7zip extract to usb works great.

Now at this point before I pressed install, I still wanted to seperate my 2 harddrives (one with windows, other with zorin). I used this guide which gives you a clean install without replacing windows boot loader. In theory, I could disconnect either Harddrive and the other operating system would still load with its standard bootloader. Please follow carefully if this is what you intend on doing also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16:16 am

The33Elites wrote:So for the people who are on WINDOWS systems and looking at all the misinformation out there, I figured this out. I almost quit and was heading to Ubuntu because of the limited support (Thank the people who tried). I don't know how well this will work for anyone else.

This is my first Linux distribution, I never had it installed before, I have Windows 7 64 bit (fairly old emachines 8gb ram installed only capable of using 4gb, on board gpu ati radeon xpress 200, Amd Athlon 64 processor 3500+) and 2 Hard drives, all standard nothing too fancy. My blank hard drive I used for Zorin OS 9.

So here is how it works, I had another crapped out emachines so I took out the old cddrive (CD-RW, DVD-R) and placed it in the other one. I used PowerIso on my HP PC to burn Zorin OS 9 64bit and 32 bits at lowest setting of 6x to disc with verify written data, success both times. Put them in my emachines and 32bit loaded and 64 bit loaded but would not install claiming disc error, but I didnt want 32 bit. So I went to re-download Z OS9 64 carefully re-burning to disc. Durning burn I thought why not just use PowerIso to extract Z OS 9 Iso to usb. Did that, plugged it in my emachines and it load fine, unlike before. Using all those programs (xboot, unetbootin, rufus, universal usb) was unnecessary, a simple Iso extractor like PowerIso or 7zip extract to usb works great.

Now at this point before I pressed install, I still wanted to seperate my 2 harddrives (one with windows, other with zorin). I used this guide which gives you a clean install without replacing windows boot loader. In theory, I could disconnect either Harddrive and the other operating system would still load with its standard bootloader. Please follow carefully if this is what you intend on doing also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

Had I not been told you could only use USB I would have pointed you to that in my [STICKY] here! :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

I have just finished videoing how to do it with Zorin - need to put it together - should be uploaded to my Veoh account this weekend (all being well!)