This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin OS 9 live disk will not boot in EFI.

M0rph3us

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:30:10 am

So, I'll try to be as succint as possible. I previously ran a dual boot system with Win7 and Kubuntu. I had no issues with that setup other than I got tired of Kubuntu. I expected Zorin would install in much the same fashion, but have run into issues. Specifically, when I want to boot from a disk I obviously enter BIOS and select the optical drive. If for example my Win7 Startup Disk is in the drive, when entering the BIOS boot order I am given a choice to boot it either as either EFI or non-EFI. As my Win installation is EFI, I naturally selected that when I installed Kubuntu and everything ran beautifully. With Zorin, I am not given that option. When entering BIOS to set the boot order, only the non-EFI option is available for the optical drive. This is a problem, as even though I can install Zorin, there seems to be no way to make GRUB see the Win7 installation since it is EFI and Zorin is not.

As such, is there a way to force the Zorin live disk to boot as EFI? Am I missing something in the installation process? Again, I can boot to Zorin if I use the hdd option that contains it from BIOS, or I can boot to Win7 if I use the Windows Boot Loader. But not both. With Kubuntu, I simply set the boot option to "ubuntu" and upon starting the system I was asked to choose either Kubuntu or Windows. If Zorin can't do this, I'll have to find something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: Win7 Ultimate (x64), Zorin OS 9 (Core) - btw, my mobo runs only EFI BIOS, there is no option to disable it and use a "legacy"

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:04:19 am

Hi, sorry I cannot help on this one - could you please PM AZorin or zorink? I understand that another forum member had similar issues but it may mean purchasing support - the other forum member (sorry do a lot of posting so can't remember) had purchased ultimate and had to contact them on similar iwsue with Windows 8

madvinegar

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:12:48 am

I think you can do the following.
Instead of using a DVD prepare a live usb.
To do so use a windows program called Rufus. http://rufus.akeo.ie/
In the options of Rufus (partition scheme) select to write the USB in EFI mode.

M0rph3us

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04:15 am

And it's Rufus FTW! Thanks mates, I appreciate the help.

madvinegar

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:16:35 am

Glad I helped !!!!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45:19 pm

Wow madvinegar - that has to be worht 1000 blue jewels! :D :D :D