This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] error when installing Zorin OS 9

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:23:15 pm

Dear readers,

This time i have some problems to install Zorin OS 9 besites on a Windows Vista machine.

The things i did before:
I used the same dvd with Zorin OS 9 Core that i have used for installing on a laptop alongside Windows 7
The install on the laptop was succesfull, so i thought i can used again to insatll Zorin OS 9 on a desktop computer alongside Windows Vista
but here it goes totaly wrong, in the mids of the installing i got an error saing that the dvd could not be read further, this could happen by faulty dvd, hard drive or the discreader.
So i thought it can't be the dvd because i already used in an other machine with succes, so i cleaned the diskreader and try it again with the same error
Then i thought maybe it is the hard drive but that can not be because the hard drive works succesfully with Windows Vista on it.
So i buy me a new dvd drive and put that drive instead of the cleaned drive and try it again with again the same error but this time almost on the end of the install

This is gona complete wrong with that dvd so i deside to download the .iso file again with Firefox and use the DownThemAll addon
after that i used the winmd5free program to verrify the md5sum with succes
burn the new dvd with ImgBurn on speed x4
try it again and there it is again the error
What is going wrong here? I don't know it anymore...

I have burned new dvd's 5 times now and when i inserted the dvd into the drive ill choose in the splashscreen of Zorin to check the dvd for errors
every dvd i have burned has errors.
So there must be something wrong with ImgBurn

Is there an other burning program that can burn on speed x4?

Anonymous

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38:27 pm

Hensyr > If you have Windows 7 active on one of your machines...you can burn the ISO using the built-in app.
In Windows 7...just right click on the ISO file ... and you will see where it says...burn/write to disk.

Look below at the link below for info.
It might help with installation.
There's instructions directly from AZorin towards the bottom.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7913

Hope this can help ya !!!!
Regards
Gizzy

Note Zorin OS can be used in the same manner as Windows 7.
I can't remember exactly...but it uses one of the default apps. [ Brasero ]

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:28:03 pm

Hi Gizmuntu,

Sadly the fuction in Windows 7 to burn is missing in the dropdownmenu, i don't know what is going wrong there.
I clicked on the link you provided but find no reply on the topic from AZorin, do you meant Wolfman?
I see the link from Wolfman to repair files with dpkg but that only works if Zorin is installed and you already have a Grub
In my case the grub is not installed yet so the computer start in Windows Vista

Ill try to burn with Nero at the speed x4
then ill see if there are any errors whit the disk check

Anonymous

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:15:35 pm

I copied the instructions over for ya. [ via AZorin ]

In order to boot the Zorin OS 9 please try following these steps:
Insert the LiveDVD/USB and restart your computer to boot Zorin OS.
When you see the cyan screen with the two icons at the bottom please press any key and you should see a boot menu. Press F6 and select nomodeset. In the main menu highlight the "Try Zorin OS without installing" option and press enter. You should be able to boot into the Live system.

After installing Zorin OS to your computer you will need to restart the machine (without the DVD/USB in the drive) and enter the Advanced options in the boot menu (before booting Zorin OS from your computer's HDD) and follow this guide: http://askubuntu.com/a/38834/68544
This will allow you to install the proprietary NVidia drivers from the Internet which should permanently fix the issue. To install them go to Start > Search & open "Additional Drivers" and activate the newest graphics driver before rebooting.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15:21 pm

Hi Gizmuntu,

You are amazing, fantastic, awsome! :P :lol: 8-)

I folowed part of the instructions, is to say:

Installed Zorin OS in nomodeset mode without any problem (how did you know that the drivers where the problem? :roll: ) :?:
(Now a have burned 5 dvd's and all of them can install Zorin OS 9 in nomodeset mode)

After installing i reboot the computer and was trying to boot as they say in the in advanced mode but i was to quick to hit the enter button on the keyboard and the computer start Zorin OS 9 :geek: :?
I was able to install the driver for the graphic card and reboot the system
After reboot the system i did the update :)

So my dear Gizmuntu, thank you very much, you helped my alot. :) :P :D
I have now a fully functional Zorin OS 9 alongside Windows Vista. ;)

Maybe i forgot something i don't realy know, so if you have an idea, let me know... :idea:

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46:46 pm

200 blue jewels to Gizmuntu! :D