This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Fails to Boot on DVD

BuzziBi

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:47:37 pm

Hi.
I have got a Compaq EVO N150. (laptop)
This pc had win98. I could not get this pc to read the Zorin dvd. I tryed with the win7 dvd to, but no luck!
I did manage to install Puppy, with the Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7.0.exe on a dvd that i made. (It now boots on the Puppy Linux)
I then tryed to start up with the Zorin dvd, still no luck! :( (The dvd rom is the first of the boot options in bios)
I wonder, is there any way to install the Zorin from a command line?
Or anyone have another idea?
PS. I have tested the zorin dvd on another laptop, and it works!

SteveD

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28:50 pm

Anonymous

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33:10 pm

Something tells me you don't have a [ DVD Readable Drive ]. or [ dirty dirty ]
When your optical drive can read XP for example and can't read WIN7.
That means needed cleaning is the major culprit in this case
Is it CD or DVD. First of all
You didn't by any chance extract the Zorin OS file.... then tried to burn the file that way. [ Just Asking ]
Option >Find a CD and burn Zorin OS 9 Lite....for that's all your going to get on that machine...... [ OS Related ]
..... Wait on one of the Moderators whom know the trick of running [ USB Installation ]on the old cave dwelling machines.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37:26 pm

Hi Gizmuntu, I think SteveD gave him the answer (in a roundabout way! :D ) I always find it strange why mobo producers choose the same Function Key as Windows Safe Boot for one time boot choice! :lol:

Anonymous

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32:47 pm

If you all look a little closer.
The member stated they installed puppy via DVD/CD
Some of the the folks that come onto the forum.
Call DVD CD.....,CD DVD.
Why I wanted to know.
A dirty optical drive will not read Installation disks large as WIN7
But they will read rather small Installation disk such Puppy > XP.
If the optical eye is to dusty.....!!!!!
End Story ] they no the install keys.
That's the good part.
I miss things between the lines all the time.
No Biggy

The computer might read ZOS9Lite on a CD/DVD as it is now. [ Maybe ]
If those ZOS disk the member made will work on any other computer accept that one cave machine.
It definitely time to clean the optical drive.
Solution to cure your problem below !!!! :D :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:02:30 am

I've got one of those! :D

27193_dvd lens cleaner_001_high res.jpg
27193_dvd lens cleaner_001_high res.jpg (19.59 KiB)

BuzziBi

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13:29 pm

I have tryed a newer dvd station, but the pc did not recognise it! Have also tryed to clean the lacerhead, no luck
The dvd reader shows up during the boot, so it is there! But the ___... thing will not read the zorin dvd :(
There is no "boot from usb" in the bios on this laptop! So...... what next?
Maby a bios update?
I can boot from a "Hirens boot dvd" (a dvd with a lot of tools) so I wonder if there is a way to start whit the Hirens dvd, then insert the zorin dvd and then start the installation from a command line?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53:11 pm

Queensney

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40:58 am

I have the same problem in here with Windows 7. and fixed it by using bootable USB drive.

star treker

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:40:35 am

I have the same problem Swarf and I am wondering if it has anything to do with blank media used? I say this because I have burned two CD's now that are bootable, and both can boot the PC. One is the Redo backup CD, and the other is Ultimate Boot CD. However, I am unable to get the Zorin installation's, both OS9 and OS12 to boot the PC, and both of them are DVD. The question I have for you Swarf is, have you burned an ISO onto a DVD yet and tried to boot your computer from OS12? Because if you can make it work, then that will tell me that its possibly an issue with Memorex blank media.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:36:35 pm

I suspect it is the media - I use Verbatim and never had an issue - only use imgburn though if using Windows and nothing else - get it from https://ninite.com - that way you avoid all the advertising garbage on imgburn website. If using Brasero in GNU/Linux then launch Brasero first - never right-click an iso image and launch Brasero - unless you like lots of coasters for your mugs of coffee! If using either Brasero or K3b, always burn at the slowest speed your burner supports! ;) :D

star treker

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12:01 pm

Thanks for info. Thank goodness Etcher did a good job for me regarding setting up a good bootable installer on my 16gb Patriot USB stick!