This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Error no 5 keeps coming to install Zorin OS

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56:46 am

Hi dear readers,

Somethings are very wrong but i don't know what.

I get the Zorin OS 8 from this web page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-o ... rce=navbar
used the MD5 checksum to know the download with Opera went well and good
because i keep having the error no 5 when trying to install from dvd (burning at the lowest speed X4 with ImgBurn) this time i burned the .iso-file to a USB stick
try to install Zorin OS 8 with PlopKexec http://www.plop.at/en/plopkexec.html (tiny tool on a cd to make it posible to boot from USB when bios don't supported),
the USB start to boot and i have the desktop for trying Zorin OS 8 without install
open the icon (Install Zorin OS) with succes and the install begins with no problems
but after i fill in the name and password again i get the error no 5
Installation failed
The installer encountered an error copying files to the harddisk:
[Errno5] Input/output error
This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help
to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive
lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check
wheter the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a
cooler environment.

The only thing now is that i keep getting these error if i used the dvd or the usb for install Zorin OS 8 and 9 both on this computer
i don't know it anymore what to do now...
The dvd-rom is a brand new one i installed on this computer: try to install wit dvd is getting the same error
PlopKexec is a tiny tool that you can burn on a cd or even use on a floppy disk see the explain on the owners website: http://www.plop.at/en/plopkexec.html
Use the USB to boot from and install Zorin OS: getting the same error
Try to install Zorin OS 9 or Zorin OS 8: getting the same error over and over again
What seems to be the problem?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:13:19 pm

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21:09 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

Maybe this can help yes, the only thing to upgrade the BIOS is to reinstall Windows 7 and use that OS to do it.
i don't know an other way.
So i install Windows 7, do an BIOS update and/or upgrade
After that i will try again to install Zorin OS 9 alongside of Windows 7
i will let you know if that helps

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49:27 pm

Hi Hensyr, if this is on the same drive as Windows I would use Easy BCD! ;)

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02:15 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

No it will not be on the same drive, Zorin OS 9 will be ont the second hddrive.
Windows will be ont the first hddrive: 640 GB
And Zorin OS 9 on the second hddrive: 500 GB

However i will use EasyBCD to make an entry to the Grub2 because the grub will not replace the MBR or Windows loader, the grub will be installed on the second drive to.
I did this once on an other computer to and that works great.

Windows 7 is already installed now without any problems, i have to download the updates first and that will take a lot of time.
I will let you know if things goes well here,
Thanks for remind me the use of EasyBCD

Hensyr Wolf

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02:02 am

Dear Swarfendor437,

Windows 7 installation is complete.
But the BIOS upgrade, I could not do it from Linux, therefore Linux must be installed first.
However, I have found another method to successfully install Zorin OS 9
The DVD is set as the first boot.
Nowhere to click while the dvd boot and wait for Zorin asks you what to do.
Then you can choose to try or install.
Choose to install.
Make no internet connection, just install everything from the DVD.
Zorin is successfully installed that way.
Now I have to have everything set and hopefully I forget nothing.
Next thing to do is start Windows 7 up and install EasyBCD and make an entry to the grub2

Now knowing that install without internet connection is successful there must be something wrong with the interaction between the DVD and the server from which the updates come during installation.

Hensyr Wolf

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47:12 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

The problem is solved.
After installing Zorin OS 9 i wanted to install Zorin OS 8 to on an other partition of disk two and i have got the same error as previous with Zorin OS 9.
So this time i was sure it was not the dvd, nore the USB, nore the ISO it must be hardware.
The dvd-drive is a brand new one so he could also not be the problem.
Thus i did the memtest86+ and quick has a bunch of errors so i repeat the memtest with one of the two memory pieces and one of them is a good one.
So i did the install again with 2GB ram instead of the 4GB and everyting goes well
I can install Zorin OS 9 and also Zorin OS 8 ont the second partition without any problems.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58:06 pm

Hi, Glad you got sorted Hensyr! :D