This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation

lencan

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:15:56 pm

Considering downloading ZOS9. It is stated it comes with Windows 7...... and defaults onto W7during install.
If one has W7 already, does the W7 that comes with the download of OS9 'affect' the existing W7?

I have a second computer with XP....Will likely download ZOS 9 onto it....Would the accompanying W7 with
Z OS 9 be a 'FULL" W7?

Also, stated LINUX does not 'get' VIRUSES!....Should one not use....or maybe delete, any existing antii-virus program as not needed?

Will ZOS 9 be a 'FULL" W7?...... as it says ZOS 9 defaults into W7 during download?

Also, stated LINUX does not 'get' VIRUSES!....Should one not use....or maybe delete any existing antii-virus program as not needed?

Wouid one 'lose' names and addresses.... as Outlook Express not available with Z OS 9...and, can latest Internet Explorer be installed on ZOS 9?
and any loss of names, sites saved still be shown?

If configured ZOS 9 to look like XP, are there many....any?... parts not shown?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59:29 pm

Hi, No Zorin does not come with Windows 7 - that is the Zorin PC which sadly never got beyond prototype! :D

Will get back to you tomorrow on the rest to explain. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:57:59 am

OK, to clear things up, the default 'Desktop Environment' has the 'look and feel' of Windows 7.

Regarding AV there are AV programs for GNU/Linux but this is for two reasons:

1. Prevent passing on a file that might have been emailed to you in an attachment.

2. ClamAV to run on Linux Mail Server to prevent viruses spreading to Windows users. If you are still using Windows XP you should not have it connected to the Internet period - apart from the fact that your machine could get infected you are more than likely to become a 'malware-bot' for nefarious internet users! If you have any network devices enabled on your machine you should disable them completely! :D

3. With regards to e-mail addresses - do you have an absoluted load of them? If you have tons you could try this - http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/outl ... actor.html - but I am not warranting its use as I have just searched for it!

4. You should be able to export your website addresses in some format that can be imported into another browser I would have thought - You cannot run the current releases of Internet Explorer on Zorin - there are better browsers available than IE! :D