This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 9 core

taloneka

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46:48 pm

I have been using OS 8 and love it.Purchased OS 9 and tried to replace 8 with 9.When installing it gets to where you enter your name etc.Says it is still loading files and freezes up.Tried it several times,same result.What's am I doing wrong?Norm

Anonymous

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:47:20 pm

Look at the bottom of the thread for the info.
This might help you solve your problem.
Andrew had problems similar to yours.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7698&start=30

Copied what you needed over for ya !!!! :D :D

Note : Use whatever method needed to install your own graphic driver.
Example : Additional Drivers

Gizmuntu wrote:Andrew

Firstly do a clean install

Use [Nomodeset ] when installing ZOS9.
When finished...don't update.
Install Nvidia 304.17 [ Nvidia Drivers ] first.
From ( Additional drivers )
Reboot
Then do your update.

If needed

: sudo apt-get install grub
: sudo update-grub
: reboot

Helps with the grobbly boot text.

Hope it works for ya

Well, I'm happy to say :D that I'm currently inside of Zorin OS 9 LTS-64bit, fully installed and after following the guides from AZorin, which by the way were somewhat along the same lines as yours Gizmuntu......everything is working great.....only thing is, I miss the tweak tool that was in OS 6.4 and 8.....worked great for changing the systems fonts and such....don't have the cpu sensors in the AWN settings panel like before either.....oh well....these were the guides from AZorin:

In order to boot the Zorin OS 9 please try following these steps:
Insert the LiveDVD/USB and restart your computer to boot Zorin OS.
When you see the cyan screen with the two icons at the bottom please press any key and you should see a boot menu. Press F6 and select nomodeset. In the main menu highlight the "Try Zorin OS without installing" option and press enter. You should be able to boot into the Live system.

After installing Zorin OS to your computer you will need to restart the machine (without the DVD/USB in the drive) and enter the Advanced options in the boot menu (before booting Zorin OS from your computer's HDD) and follow this guide: http://askubuntu.com/a/38834/68544
This will allow you to install the proprietary NVidia drivers from the Internet which should permanently fix the issue. To install them go to Start > Search & open "Additional Drivers" and activate the newest graphics driver before rebooting.

taloneka

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23:22 pm

I have tried every thing I know,And that isn't much,to install OS 9.Finally tried to install on blank hard drive and it won't even activate the CD rom drive.This a physical disc purchased form Zorin.Bad Disc?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:56:50 pm

Have you ensured that:

1. You did not use Capitals in username

2. Not attempted to encrypt /home drive during installation.

What are your system specificatons?

taloneka

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:10:55 pm

I gave up on installing in place of OS 8.I tried installing on blank hard drive.When I try to boot to this drive it says something about No Boot Reg or something to that effect.It won't even make CD drive run.I checked with other CD's and the CD drive works fine.

taloneka

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47:25 pm

I finally got OS 9 installed on a new hard drive.I removed the disc and re-started my computer,hit enter like it said and the blue Zorin screen came up,got some music and went black.Never did finish loading Zorin.Turned computer off and tried again.Same thing happened.can't figure what is going on.I installed OS 8 without any problems and other than having to change my Nvidia driver it works fine.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57:43 pm

Hi,

run "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

taloneka

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:56:19 pm

Thanks Wolfman.I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.Regards taloneka

taloneka

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27:11 pm

Hi All,I'm finally running OS9 Thanks to Wolfman and the" Run DPKG" advice.Thanks to all who tried to help.You are all awesome.Best Regards.taloneka

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:56:19 pm

120 long overdue blue jewels to Wolfman! :D

matrix0027

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22:35 pm

Thank you, I was having trouble and only got it to work after following this. I had to put 'nomodeset' BEFORE 'quiet splash' which I was putting it after and having no luck.
Thanks again!