This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[NOT QUITE SOLVED] Missing minimise/maximise buttons

br1anstorm

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10:35 am

I am still new to Linux and I am running Zorin OS6 which I installed (yes, installed) on a USB stick. Almost everything works fine. I have made very few changes to personalise it - apart from putting in my choice of wallpaper. I have done the security updates, but not the recommended (ie optional) ones - mainly to reduce the amount of writing to the USB.

But.... there is one thing I miss. None of the windows I open has the usual three buttons in the top right corner for minimise, maximise and close(except, oddly, the Chrome browser, which has the buttons with -, + and x).

The only way I can max, min or close a window is by right-clicking on the relevant icon at the bottom of the screen and choosing from the popup menu of actions which appears. This is tedious and not intuitive. I really want those buttons!

I searched the forum and found a couple of threads complaining about the same problem. The solution offered was to go Menu>System Tools>Preferences>Compiz, and ensure that "Window Decoration" was checked. Mine was.

So just to test, I unchecked, logged out and in, and then tried. No buttons. Went to Compiz, checked "Window Decoration", logged out and in, and tried again. Still no buttons. Re-visited Compiz: the "window decoration" box is definitely checked. But no buttons...

What do I have to do to get "window decoration" to actually function and to show those three little buttons? I don't care what colour they are or what symbols they show.... I just want them to be there at the top of each window I open!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12:04 pm

Hi try this - install Ubuntu Tweak from here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/0.8.x/0.8.4 - for Ubuntu 12.04 which Zorin 6 is based on.

Once installed it should appear in Menu | System Tools | System Settings.

Go to the Tweaks tab and click on Themes - make sure that all the Zorin themes are set to 'ZorinOS' NOT 'Zorin OS'

Keep us posted! :D

br1anstorm

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19:49 pm

Thanks....

I have Ubuntu Tweaks already installed in System Tools. So I followed the advice and re-set the themes from "Zorin OS" to "ZorinOS" in the three places (Gtk theme, Icon theme, and Window theme) where it showed. The cursor showed 'DMZ-white' and I left that alone.

There was no button on that Tweaks Theme page inviting me to "Apply", or to click "OK" on the changed settings. So I just closed the Tweaks window (it had no buttons either, so I had to close like the others from the icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen) and went to see what had happened.

Nothing. Still no buttons when I open other windows. I have tried VLC, Clementine, Rhythmbox, Shotwell, Image Viewer, Disk Utility and the "Files" windows. None offers the three buttons. Individual LibreOffice apps (Writer etc) have an "x" button to close individual documents, but the LibreOffice Manager window has no max/min/close buttons either.

Just to see what happens, I then re-visited Tweaks and changed the settings back to "Zorin OS" just to see if a further switch would make any difference. It didn't. Changed them to ZorinOS again. Still no change.

Oh, I should have said. After each change I also looked at Compiz. The "Windows Decoration" box has been ticked throughout.

Am I failing to do something to 'apply' the change? Or should I completely close down and reboot for the change(s) to be implemented? I'm puzzled. We seem to be no nearer a solution (yet......)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06:01 pm

Hi, Ok, no you should not have to shut down - try unchecking Window decorations and re-checking - or have you tried that?

br1anstorm

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:59:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Ok, no you should not have to shut down - try unchecking Window decorations and re-checking - or have you tried that?

Yes - tried that first off (it's in Compiz - right?), as it was the solution suggested in the other threads I found when I searched before posting my original help-request.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19:56 am

OK, try unchecking, do a reboot, go back into compiz and check. Have you tried updating the system after installation?

br1anstorm

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52:08 am

[quote="Swarfendor437"........ Have you tried updating the system after installation?[/quote]

Aha - sometimes we overlook the obvious!

Because I have Zorin installed on a USB stick, I had been selective about updating, and had only installed the important security updates and ignored the 'recommended' ones.

I looked at the latest list in Update Manager and - guess what - it included quite a few updates to Compiz. So I have just done a further update, installing almost all the recommended items (I skipped only some very bulky LibreOffice ones, for the moment).

And - hey presto! - I now have the three buttons (max/min/close) in every window, without doing any more tweaking or checking/unchecking.

Problem solved (I have marked the thread-title accordingly). Thanks Swarfendor, for suggesting something I should have realised for myself.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15:24 pm

Hey, no problem friend! :D

br1anstorm

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57:19 am

Oh dear... I spoke too soon.

The posts above describe the problem I had - that the three max/min/close buttons on each window were not there.

- I tried unchecking and checking "Windows decoration" in Compiz. Made no difference.

- I tried changing the Theme in Ubuntu Tweak between Zorin OS and ZorinOS. No solution.

- then I downloaded and installed all updates (including some for Compiz) and hooray! The three buttons magically appeared. I believed the problem was solved.

I was wrong. Things were fine for the rest of that session. But now, two days later, I boot up again.... and the three buttons have disappeared. So having thought the problem had been solved, I find it was only temporary.

I have tried the Compiz and Tweak actions again, as above. No joy. The updates are downloaded and installed, so that trick isn't an option now.

We are back to square one. How - now - can I reinstate those buttons?

br1anstorm

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:34:50 pm

This gets weirder.....

This is a follow-up to the post immediately above. Not sure if it clarifies or complicates the situation.

Just to explain: I have Zorin 6 installed (yes, installed, it's not a LiveCD) on a USB stick. I can plug it in and boot it up on any of my three laptops.

I was running it on my (older) Compaq laptop (1GB RAM, Pentium 4 2GHz processor). It was on that computer that I updated Zorin and had the now-you-see-it, now-you-don't issue over the max/min/close buttons on the windows.

Just by chance, I have plugged my USB into my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop (2GB RAM, Intel CoreDuo 2 GHz CPU) and booted up Zorin. Guess what? Each window has its three little buttons on the top right corner!

I have no idea what the explanation might be. I just offer this info in case someone who understands the Zorin OS can figure out why the buttons show up on one computer but not on the other, when I'm running the same OS off the same USB stick on each.....

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04:08 am

Hi, thanks for the detailed updates. My first thought was graphics but can't see that causing such a 'minor' issue. What happens if you install Mate and associated themes? I used 'Winme' for Window decorations using 'gnome tweak tool' - you could also try installing 'Gtk-ch' (Gtk theme changer) and try Redmond and a theme which escapes me - I am on sunny Mallorca with an intermittent internet connection - hence why you have not seen me around here! ;)

br1anstorm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:23:32 pm

Well, I'm no closer to a solution, but I have a bit more info which may offer some clues. It does seem as if the problem of missing buttons is specific to one of my computers. I wonder - does that mean it relates to graphics card or drivers rather than to the Zorin installation as such?

Just to recap: I have Zorin OS 6.4 installed on a 32GB USB stick (I'm not running LiveCD sessions). Part of my reason for this is so that I can run Zorin as an option on any or all of my computers without having to install it separately on each.

When I plug in the USB stick and run Zorin on my Dell 1520 laptop, it all works fine and the max/min/close buttons appear at top right of each window. That's one reason why I don't want to mess with it too much by changing themes

But when I do the same on my - older - Compaq Evo N610c, Zorin works OK except that the three little buttons are not there. In addition - and I have just noticed this - the Windows 7-type Start menu which pops up in the bottom left of screen from the "Z" button has the usual list of program categories etc..... but it does not show the search or logout/shutdown/restart etc buttons along the bottom of the menu panel. The only way of shutting down is to click the username in the bottom right of the taskbar and then shutdown from the menu which pops up there.

I might add that when I run a LiveCD session of Zorin from a DVD on that Compaq laptop, it all works fine and the buttons appear.

One further clue, for what it's worth. Zorin as installed on the USB stick won't work on my (rather ancient) Dell desktop either. I can run a LiveCD session on it from a DVD or from a USB stick. But when I try the Zorin OS which is installed on a USB stick, I get on the desktop screen a message "Cannot display this video mode - Optimum resolution 1280 x 1024 60Hz", and the OS does not boot up.

This is evidently not something which can be fixed using Compiz or Ubuntu Tweaks (because I have tried). For me it's a pain rather than a disaster that Zorin when installed on a USB stick doesn't work 100% on my Compaq laptop, and doesn't boot up on my desktop. But it would be nice if there was a fix. I wonder if it is because the Zorin as installed on the USB is configured specifically for the Dell laptop on which I did the installation, and it can't adapt to, or "read" the different hardware on my Compaq laptop or the Dell desktop? Is it, I wonder, a question of adding into Zorin additional drivers for the graphics cards of other computers?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29:27 pm

Just a thought.
Since all is working OK in live sessions to all computers, why not make a live USB with persistent space?

This way all will be working fine plus you will get to save any changes/files/updates even after reboots.

In general keep in mind that installing the OS in a USB stick is not very advisable. The whole system slows down a lot and is not very productive.
USB sticks with persistent space is the way to go.

br1anstorm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:44:30 pm

Great minds think alike, madvinegar....

I'm obviously still in the early part of the Linux learning curve, but I have in fact done what you suggested...

- I started out by burning the iso and running a LiveCD of Zorin off a DVD. I did the same with a couple of other distros which seemed interesting... specifically PCLinuxOS, which appealed both visually and because it is a 'rolling release' OS which thus doesn't need reinstalling of new versions; and LXLE, a lightweight distro which doesn't require a pae kernel so works on the one laptop which has no pae.

- then I created USB sticks of Live versions with persistence, for exactly the reasons you suggested. I still have them, and they work fine (and all the buttons show!). But I believe that there are limits on how much you can store or save with the persistence feature (I gather it depends on "casper" which I don't yet understand).

- going one step further, because I figured that a USB stick was in effect just another 'drive', I then thought - why not get a big enough stick (32GB), partition it so that it has /, /home, and swap, and just install a distro on it? Saves the complication (which I didn't want) of overwriting the original Windows MBR with grub on each of my laptops to enable dual booting. Instead, I reckoned I could just "F12" on startup and opt to boot from the USB stick. That's effectively where I'm at. And that was when I noticed the slight weirdness that on only one of my laptops (the Compaq) my USB-installed Zorin doesn't show the buttons, when the Live session with persistence (from USB) and the LiveCD (from a DVD) work fine on that same laptop.

I have similarly done full installs of my other preferred distros, PCLinuxOS and LXLE (a variant of Lubuntu) on 32GB USB sticks, and tried them on more than one computer. So far (touch wood) they seem to run OK (PCLOS has one glitch to do with touchpad scrolling/tapping, but that's a matter for another forum!).

But it has been pointed out that as you say, actually installing and running any OS from a USB stick is not good in the long term. It's not only a matter of speed: apparently the read/write cycles wear out the flash memory! So what I am thinking about is installing two or three Linux OSs on an external HDD (which is faster, and better able to cope).

It's all fascinating stuff - and I guess that before too long I will have to decide (as a WinXP refugee) which Linux option to plump for. It's looking like a two-horse race: PCLinuxOS versus Zorin. Right now I like them both, but each has pros and cons. This thread was an attempt to iron out what looks like a very minor 'con' in Zorin, and I thought that serious experts might be able to identify the problem.

I wonder, if I install and run Zorin from an external HDD, or if it is actually installed (as dual boot with XP?) on the hard drive of the Compaq laptop where the problem currently shows up, then perhaps the buttons won't go missing?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:46:52 pm

If you decide to install linux on an external USB HDD you will be surprised because you will not notice any delay or problems. It would be like you have installed it on your internal hard drive (especially if your external drive and laptop support USB3). It is a great solution for not messing with your computer that runs win8 etc. Don't forget to install the grub menu on the external HDD.

As regards your problem my mind goes to two factors.
i) Maybe as you installed and prepared the USB in another computer and also run the updates on it, some changes may have been made as hardware specific of the other computer.
ii) It may just be a matter of installing a repository or drivers for your card. Can you please post back the result of the following command just to see what your card is and what driver is using:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

The problem is that if we mess with the drivers for the problematic computer, it may not work well in the other PCs... :D

Also, have you tried running the session with no effects? To do so log out, click on the Zorin round logo (the Z button) and select "zorin no effects".

Henriolavi

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:52:21 pm

Hi

Here additional info of full installation of os. to a USB Drive. Some test results and speed requirements for USB Drives and connection.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7410

My experience is that full installation into USB should always be done using that computer in which it is then used. Installation process makes a hardware configuration to the installation and that means that it would not work properly with different computers. A live installation does not make that hardware configuration and works also in other computers, but there might be other operating limitations. It is highly recommended that the USB drive is specified to USB 3.0 speed even if the computer does not have a USB 3.0 port.

br1anstorm

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:01:04 pm

madvinegar wrote:If you decide to install linux on an external USB HDD you will be surprised because you will not notice any delay or problems. It would be like you have installed it on your internal hard drive (especially if your external drive and laptop support USB3). It is a great solution for not messing with your computer that runs win8 etc. Don't forget to install the grub menu on the external HDD.

As regards your problem my mind goes to two factors.
i) Maybe as you installed and prepared the USB in another computer and also run the updates on it, some changes may have been made as hardware specific of the other computer.
ii) It may just be a matter of installing a repository or drivers for your card. Can you please post back the result of the following command just to see what your card is and what driver is using:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

The problem is that if we mess with the drivers for the problematic computer, it may not work well in the other PCs... :D

Also, have you tried running the session with no effects? To do so log out, click on the Zorin round logo (the Z button) and select "zorin no effects".

Thanks for those further thoughts, madvinegar. Taking them in order.....

1) installing Linux on an external HDD. I'm ahead of you, and for exactly the reasons you mention. I have installed PCLinuxOS (but NOT yet Zorin) on an external HDD - with its grub also on the HDD so as not to mess with the Windows MBR on my computer. Yes, it's faster than running from a USB stick. There is a little glitch over wifi, but that's not for this forum. I'd like to put Zorin on to that same HDD, but this raises some challenges over how to "program" grub (PCLinux uses legacy grub, while I think Zorin uses grub2?). But all that is perhaps for a separate thread in due course - because I will certainly need detailed advice on how to install Zorin alongside PCLinuxOS and how to get their respective grubs to see each other and play nicely together.....

2) meanwhile, as regards the Zorin install on my USB stick, I did, as you suspect in your point (i), do the installation using another laptop (a Dell) . So during the installation or when I subsequently updated it, the Zorin installer/updater may have "tuned" the package to suit that laptop - with the result that the buttons don't appear on my older Compaq laptop possibly because it has a different graphics card?

3) installing new drivers. I haven't yet run the command you suggest to reveal what card or driver(s) the Compaq may have, but will do so. Just a quick clarification: do I need to run that command as "root" or can I do it from the normal terminal? As you note, however, it may not be a great idea to mess with the drivers simply in order to enable the USB-stick Zorin to run on the problematic Compaq laptop, if the price of that is that it no longer runs properly on my other machines!

Incidentally Henriolavi is strictly speaking correct to point out that ideally a full install to a USB drive is best done on, and for, the specific computer on which it is intended to run. My aim (or my experiment) was to see if I could install a Linux OS on to a USB stick (or external drive) precisely so that I could then use it "portably" and run it on whichever different machine I chose rather than having to do separate installs on each computer (or separate installs on separate USB sticks for each!)

4) I haven't tried the "no effects" option either, but when I have a moment I might try that, as presumably it makes no permanent changes and can be easily undone?

br1anstorm

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:23:30 pm

Well, it's a very long time since I played with Zorin. I stil have Zorin 6 installed on a USB stick, and i thought I'd try it in a newer laptop (a Samsung RF511). Mostly it works OK. But once again I ran into the problem of missing title bar, no max min close buttons in the top right of any open app (except Chrome!), and no buttons at the bottom of the menu panel. Also my desktop background image didn't fit the screen (there was a black strip along the bottom).

Once again I toggled "Windows decorations" in Compiz. Made no difference. Then I thought I'd try the "no effects" option suggested by madvinegar and mentioned above. Logged out, clicked on the round "Z" logo in the login screen above my name, and chose the "Zorin (fallback)" option. Logged in, and hurrah! Title bar appears on each open app, the buttons are there, the background fits the screen, all is as it should be.

The only question is now whether I have to re-set that "Zorin fallback" option every time I log in. We'll see.....

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:17:58 am

The Zorin Fallback if chosen at login should stay when you next login. And that goes for any DE you choose at Login - provided it is listed when you click on that logo to the right of your username in the login box.

You may want to install the correct version of 'gnome-tweak-tool':

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-tweak-tool

See this article here:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-to- ... e-and.html

But be warned that there is a security issue for Zorin 6 (based on Ubuntu 12.04):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

As for trouble free dual-booting:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

;) :D

br1anstorm

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:50:16 pm

Hello Swarfendor.... and many thanks for all that useful information.

I have indeed re-booted into Zorin 6 (which I still run from a USB stick) and as you say, the choice of DE at login remains. I hadn't previously even been aware that the "Z" logo on the login panel was a live button which offered such choices (as Michael Caine might say - "Not a lot of people know that!"). I am now getting title bar and max/min/close buttons correctly displayed. Maybe there needs to be a sticky, or a Help Manual section on this problem and on this solution, as most other forum threads seem to point always to Compiz and Windows Decoration as the way to resolve the missing-buttons problem.

Do I need to change/reinstall the "gnome-tweak-tool"? Is that essential or just a nice-to-do bit of tidying up?

The info about the security flaw in Ubuntu 12.04 distros was also news to me. I have checked my version in the terminal and it is 2.15 - so presumably earlier than 2.18 and thus at risk. Looks as if I shall have to move on to Zorin 9 - which I haven't yet studied.

Ironically it was partly to escape from the constant Windows upgrade/reinstall process of 98/XP/Vista/8/10 that I swore when WinXP ended that I would go over to Linux so that I didn't have to replace/reinstall my OS so frequently, if at all. It is also for that reason that I still favour "rolling release" distros over distros that offer a new version or edition every 6-12 months. Although I really prefer the appearance and design of Zorin, Mint and Linux Lite over the PCLinuxOS interface, the fact that the latter is a rolling release keeps it at the top of my Linux OS favourites list.

I looked at that linked video about dual booting using Easy BCD. First, some viewer feedback - I mean to be constructive. The voice-synthesising is horrible and robotic, and quite a turn off. There were long passages with neither voice-explanation nor background music, which was disconcerting (I wondered if I had hit the mute button by accident). The music was actually very good and atmospheric. But the whole video (1hour 30-something) could do with serious editing down to maybe 20 minutes max. Shooting video of a screen is a tough skill to master, but there were times when the swaying-around and out-of-focus made me seasick! There were long periods where nothing happened. I fear many viewers would just give up. With clearer spoken explanation, the visuals could be edited substantially. Don't, please, take this as criticism: I couldn't make a video if I tried. But I fear you may not be getting through to all those (like me!) who need your advice.

As to the actual subject of dual booting and Easy BCD, I remain slightly unclear as to exactly how what you did differs from the "traditional" dual boot where the Linux Grub replaces the Windows bootloader in the MBR of the main hard disk (= C drive). I have always fought shy of a dual boot arrangement which involves losing or overwriting the Windows bootloader. Would I be right to deduce from your video that when installing Zorin you put its Grub into the partition where Zorin itself (or the Zorin root (/)) is installed, and then Easy BCD somehow connects or brings together the Windows bootloader in the MBR and the Zorin Grub in the partition where you installed it? I only ask because this pivotal concept - of where to put the Grub and how it then works with the Win7 bootloader - is not clearly explained in detail in the video or its soundtrack....

I realise this latter discussion takes us off-topic, so maybe this thread needs to be relocated, or a new one launched on the subject of Easy BCD, Grub and dual booting?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:23:44 pm

br1anstorm wrote:Hello Swarfendor.... and many thanks for all that useful information.

I have indeed re-booted into Zorin 6 (which I still run from a USB stick) and as you say, the choice of DE at login remains. I hadn't previously even been aware that the "Z" logo on the login panel was a live button which offered such choices (as Michael Caine might say - "Not a lot of people know that!"). I am now getting title bar and max/min/close buttons correctly displayed. Maybe there needs to be a sticky, or a Help Manual section on this problem and on this solution, as most other forum threads seem to point always to Compiz and Windows Decoration as the way to resolve the missing-buttons problem.

Do I need to change/reinstall the "gnome-tweak-tool"? Is that essential or just a nice-to-do bit of tidying up?
gnome-tweak-tool was the other way of getting those buttons back before Gnome3 came out! ;) :D

The info about the security flaw in Ubuntu 12.04 distros was also news to me. I have checked my version in the terminal and it is 2.15 - so presumably earlier than 2.18 and thus at risk. Looks as if I shall have to move on to Zorin 9 - which I haven't yet studied.
[color=#FFF00]It is not just Ubuntu - ALL GNU/Linux distributions had this flaw since the year 2000 and only recently discovered by the security organisation I posted a link to![/color]

Ironically it was partly to escape from the constant Windows upgrade/reinstall process of 98/XP/Vista/8/10 that I swore when WinXP ended that I would go over to Linux so that I didn't have to replace/reinstall my OS so frequently, if at all. It is also for that reason that I still favour "rolling release" distros over distros that offer a new version or edition every 6-12 months. Although I really prefer the appearance and design of Zorin, Mint and Linux Lite over the PCLinuxOS interface, the fact that the latter is a rolling release keeps it at the top of my Linux OS favourites list.
I did not think PCLOS was a rolling distro - my issue with PCLOS has always been issues with Locales and Wireless - the default is English US - if I installed English UK/GB then wireless would go west! SolydXK is a Debian rolling release - the longest standing rolling release has to be Gentoo and derivatives such as Sabayon which was my main distro before Ultimate Edition then Zorin and also now Makulu

I looked at that linked video about dual booting using Easy BCD. First, some viewer feedback - I mean to be constructive. The voice-synthesising is horrible and robotic, and quite a turn off. There were long passages with neither voice-explanation nor background music, which was disconcerting (I wondered if I had hit the mute button by accident). The music was actually very good and atmospheric. But the whole video (1hour 30-something) could do with serious editing down to maybe 20 minutes max. Shooting video of a screen is a tough skill to master, but there were times when the swaying-around and out-of-focus made me seasick! There were long periods where nothing happened. I fear many viewers would just give up. With clearer spoken explanation, the visuals could be edited substantially. Don't, please, take this as criticism: I couldn't make a video if I tried. But I fear you may not be getting through to all those (like me!) who need your advice.
I'm happy to take criticism - not keen on listening to my own voice! I haven't mastered how to zoom in whilst using something like CamStudio screen recorder for Windows or Kazam and their ilk in GNU/Linux - the beauty of EasyBCD for Windows users is that the mbr will not get messed up if something goes wrong with the GNU/Linux install - if you use GRUB in the mbr and something goes wrong you can't get back in to Windows without using mbr repair commands using Repair Disc in Windows 7 for example. My text version is here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981#p38598

As to the actual subject of dual booting and Easy BCD, I remain slightly unclear as to exactly how what you did differs from the "traditional" dual boot where the Linux Grub replaces the Windows bootloader in the MBR of the main hard disk (= C drive). I have always fought shy of a dual boot arrangement which involves losing or overwriting the Windows bootloader. Would I be right to deduce from your video that when installing Zorin you put its Grub into the partition where Zorin itself (or the Zorin root (/)) is installed, and then Easy BCD somehow connects or brings together the Windows bootloader in the MBR and the Zorin Grub in the partition where you installed it? I only ask because this pivotal concept - of where to put the Grub and how it then works with the Win7 bootloader - is not clearly explained in detail in the video or its soundtrack....

Perhaps Matthew Moore does it better for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

I realise this latter discussion takes us off-topic, so maybe this thread needs to be relocated, or a new one launched on the subject of Easy BCD, Grub and dual booting?

I think my responses should have cleared most things up? ;) :D

br1anstorm

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:34:20 pm

Thanks again Swarf.... your comments pretty much explain and clarify the points I raised.

I may pursue the discussion about dual-boot and Easy BCD in a separate new properly-titled thread, as I'm quite keen to go down that route with one of my laptops. Glad my comments didn't upset you: the text version of your script in that other thread is also helpful. I looked at the Matthew Moore video too, and found it very helpful. Confession: I'm looking at installing Linux Lite as well as (.....surely not instead of?) Zorin.

Just a small point on PCLOS. I am pretty certain it is a rolling release (it claims to be so, and is described as such). I have tried both MATE (nice) and KDE (too "big" and far too complicated) versions, and haven't had the Locales/Wireless problem you describe. Maybe I was just lucky. I did have wifi issues, but they seemed to be related mostly to the pesky Broadcom wireless chipset in my (Dell 1520) laptop.

Season's greetings!