This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Input Not Supported - shown on Monitor

Daveman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19:48 am

Is this Normal or is it a problem than needs addressing -The Problem: it doesn't matter if its the latest edition of Linux Mint or Zorin (which I am using now Zorin 5 Core) - my eMachine LCD Monitor shows "Input Not Supported Briefly" - I wait on the system, and not sure if its when I hit the ENTER key that gets it to work or not - its as through it reboots using another driver I guess? I am kind of a Newbie to Linux so - any help would be appreciated. Is it a onboard graphics card issue? I built it as a Christmas gift for my nephew.

CPU: AMD Sempron 1250
MOBO: Biostar MCP6P M2+
Onboard Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 6150
2GB DDR2 Ram

Wolfman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:17:10 am

Hi DM,

start your PC in "Recovery Mode" and select "dpkg" and say "y" when it asks you!. Restart after its finished with "ctrl+alt+del" and see if it still happens.

Did you install the Nvidia drivers via the Control Center > Hardware > Addtional Drivers??. If you didn't, do that also!!.

If your PC is a stand alone model, have you tried resetting your monitor???. (Press the menu button on your monitor and look for the reset function)

Regards Wolfman :D

Daveman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:27:49 pm

I think that's a problem - I know on my Laptop I see those options for logging in normally or safe-mode etc, then logs in normally in a few seconds if not selected - however on the PC - that is the part not showing. I am guessing its doing the normal select thing on the PC - BUT the Monitor is not detecting the input for some reason. So the system after turning it on - goes through the countdown process (no way to see it to select start normal or safe mode anything) and boots in normally.
I ran the New Driver program and it updated the Nvidia drivers - I selected the "preferred" option of 3

I don't know if I am making any sense here or not - I'm not the best communicator in the world - Zorin will fire up on the PC - but the "Input not Supported" notice on my monitor is an annoyance. I turn on the computer - it does its thing - I see the computer system info - then the monitor blanks out - says "Input Not Supported" for about 5 to 8 seconds or so - blanks then Zorin pops in, in its full glory.

Is it possible Zorin just doesnt agree with the monitor on start up? - Please note the Monitor does fine on my XP computer, no such problem at all.

Wolfman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00:59 pm

Hi,

did you try resetting the monitor like I suggested??. :?:

I had a similar problem once and simply resetting my monitor solved it for me!!.

Daveman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:46:36 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,
did you try resetting the monitor like I suggested??. :?:
I had a similar problem once and simply resetting my monitor solved it for me!!.

Yes - I reset the monitor. I picked up. Waited 5 minutes and set it back down :lol: - DOH! Sorry - I couldn't resist - don't hit me! I'm old and senile! :D
BUT.., Seriously though, I did reset it - and it didn't change a thing. I may try the age old "Yelling at it" again and see if it helps. :-)

Wolfman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24:54 pm

Hi,

if you are quick enough when the PC boots, as soon as you think you see a boot menu, press the down arrow key and press enter which would take you to the recovery mode menu, from there, you can run the "dpkg" thingy!!.

And Daveman, with jokes like that, don't give up your day job mate!! :D

Daveman

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01:16 pm

LoL - okay I will keep my day job - and give that suggestion a go :-)
By the way - my day job is making bad jokes - doesn't pay well but
Im so good at it. heh

Daveman

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42:26 am

Yeah I kinda wondered if maybe the type monitor might be suspect. Unfortunately I cant test it on another monitor. I need to get a larger one in fact! I gave my last CRT Monitor away to my daughter when I built her a custom Batman themed computer last year. I didn't think I would need it anymore. On hind sight if I am going to do builds like those I need to keep one around.
Thanks for the help - I appreciate it. I am guessing you are onto a strong possibility with this one.

Wolfman

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47:12 am

Hi DM,

another way to run "dpkg" is to do it in a terminal, copy and paste the following command in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Let it do its thing and then restart!!.

I cannot say this will fix your monitor problem but it will at least fix any broken packages you may have!. :D