This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Thunderbird

amicus

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32:09 pm

Can it be downloaded into the Zorin OS?

Deadly Ernest

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:46:25 am

Yes, it's in the software centre choices. Go to the menu and select the option 'Ubuntu Software Centre' in the search bar type in 'Thunderbird' and it will bring the listing up - the select the Install button on the far right.

Once you have it installed, if you still have the old system with your previous Thunderbird files, you can find the hidden folder .Thunderbird in your home directory and copy the files straight in, then change the profile to the number of the old one - and presto, all your old message and settings are in place and ready to go.

The same thing works with Firefox, too

Ernest

amicus

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:06:24 pm

I downloaded TB but when I went to look for "Home Directory" it said it could not find any results. Is there possibly another search word that needs to be activated?

Wolfman

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55:34 pm

Hi amicus,

did you do like Ernest said and use Ubuntu Software Manager??, it should be in your program list when you click on the start button and type "thunderbird" in the search bar, it should show up. You can look in Synaptic by typing in search also and see if it shows up in the list.

Did you download the file from an external source????.

Regards and Merry Christmas :D

Wolfman :D

Deadly Ernest

Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00:39 pm

G'day Guys,

Did you run Thunderbird from the menu for the first time, yet?. One thing I noticed with Ubuntu (in the last few incarnations of it) the Home directory files for Thunderbird and Firefox, and a few other applications, will NOT appear in your Home directory until AFTER you activate the application by running it from the menu once. Then the Home directory files are created by the system.

What I do is download the files via the Ubuntu Software Centre, then click on the menu item to open Thunderbird (and Firefox, etc.) in first run mode. Then I close them and go to the relevant directory folders in the Home folder (.mozilla for Firefox and .thunderbird for Thunderbird) and copy the saved folders from my previous system across into them. I also amend the profiles.ini file to call the profile I just copied across - easiest way is to copy that file too. With that done, I open up Thunderbird to find all my settings and old emails are there and ready to go; the same with Firefox.

Regards,

Ernest

amicus

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04:04 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi amicus,

did you do like Ernest said and use Ubuntu Software Manager??, it should be in your program list when you click on the start button and type "thunderbird" in the search bar, it should show up. You can look in Synaptic by typing in search also and see if it shows up in the list.
I
Did you download the file from an external source????.

Regards and Merry Christmas :D

Wolfman :D

amicus wrote:Can it be downloaded into the Zorin OS?

Well somehow I was able to install Thunderbird. I'm sure it was a somewhat circuitous route since I'm so new to this system that I can't remember every step but I did find TB in the 'Installed Software' of the Ubuntu Software Manager. Regardless I couldn't have done any of this without the help of everyone who took the time to respond to my query.

This is a great forum and I want thank you all for your help as I'm sure there will be more queries in the future and in that spirit I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays