This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) On going install issue

alpha1

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32:26 am

Hi again guys
Sorry to come back to you with this, but since my last posting a week ago trying to install Z6 and eventually succeeding after sever attempts and the advice from the forum.

My system keeps crashing notably it was not a normal install despite following instructions.
So i have tried to re-install the os but for almost a week i am failing day and night i have tried different scenarios but to no avail.

Additional steps taken:
1. DVD Lens cleaner used
2. Change of Brand Make of DVD used (Maxell) & (Tesco)
3. No Ethernet Cable connected
4.USB
5. Different machines used - still the same
6. Different download sites
7. gparted live13.1.2 Formatted Drive
No improvident was made

Xp installs no problem so dos Ubuntu 12.4 no issue at all - but if i try to install as a duel boot problems start will not duel boot ubuntu 12.4 and xp can not install Zorin 6 at all.

Why is it easy to install Ubuntu 12.4 but Zorin 6 is proving to be impossible.

I know the next question - is there something unique to my system? - not to my knowledge.

It has a Gigabyte Motherboard and the rest as in my profile

The furthest i have got in the install process is as follows:-

This is the point at which the system now hangs after finding the gateway and IP address.
Any ideas as to resolving this issue?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:45:34 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??.

Have you tried a USB install also??.

Did you try safe graphics mode option which is 2nd in the main menu of the live CD??.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card and have you tried the "nomodeset" option:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2758&p=12478&hilit=nomodeset#p12478

Regards Wolfman :D

alpha1

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55:59 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Did you try safe graphics mode option which is 2nd in the main menu of the live CD??.

Thanks for the reply

Yes Slow Speed burn option taken
USB Option tried
No To NVidia Card

I do believe i have take option 2 already but will do it again just in case it has been a long night.
Rebooting system.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17:18 pm

Hi Alpha1,

I forgot to ask, did you fully boot the live CD or didn't you get that far??. Or did you try installing directly without fully booting the live CD??.

If you didn't try the first one, try it out to make sure that it boots correctly!!.

What are your system specs??.

alpha1

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55:02 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

No Go.

alpha1

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57:18 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Alpha1,

I forgot to ask, did you fully boot the live CD or didn't you get that far??. Or did you try installing directly without fully booting the live CD??.

If you didn't try the first one, try it out to make sure that it boots correctly!!.

What are your system specs??.

Yes i have on several occactions, tried both.

alpha1

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:11:05 pm

Update.
It has taken some time butwe are there now.
Well after several other attemps i have burned yet another DVD and attempted the install.
This time i installed ubuntu 12.4 and then install zorin alongside and there we have it we are now up and running - this process may not have anything to do with the install but it worked.

In addition to the install we again encountered a few minor issue as:-
Zorin Start menue crashes if clicke on twice or when it feels like it have to restart or log out of system.

Cannot ajust the time to a 24 hour clock it will not allow.
All updates have been applied except for playonlinux still to do.
** ** Zorin starter Aplet has crasghed again need to log out of the system yet again.
Sorry i am little bit rough around the edges now.

Dont know if this helps any - trouble attaching pics.
Thanks for the advice

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17:33 am

Hi alpha1,

I suspect that you have a copy of Zorin 6 RC which is not the final and that is why you are having these problems!!!.

Did you download the ISO from here:

http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

I mention this because you talked about the clock which didn't work correctly in Zorin 6 RC!!. (The clock adjustment is a bug in Ubuntu)

Can you confirm what copy you have please.

See this link and the part about broken packages, then run "dpkg":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Another thought is that it might be your hard drive, how old is it??, you can also run "fsck" from the recovery menu which might help if the drive is damaged!!.

Anonymous

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17:00 am

If you ever have trouble installing via USB or DVD/CD and know for sure it's not the image itself. There is two things that can cause this problem. The first thing that can cause this, is the computer that you are using to make the disk/usb installer. Find a friend whom ever and try making these on a different PC. The second thing is your hard drive. Use something like Hiren's boot cd that has all kinds of goody's on it to test your hard drive for ( bad sectors ) .
You can install XP on a hard drive going bad ok, but installing something like Zorin/Vista /Windows 7 you will always have trouble. This issue would take to long for me to explain why and how, but I see it day everyday at my shop. AND further more with the type of graphics you are running you will have problems with running Zorin on your PC. With the set up you are running go with Zorin's 6.1 lite. You need a little heavier graphics card than what you have now. The rest of your machine is fine. I have a test machine setup just like yours running a GEFORCE 210 with a beefed up power supply at 500 watts. if you are planning to upgrade your graphics card spend the little extra and upgrade your power supply also. Remember the more power that graphics has excess to the better performance it has.

alpha1

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22:18 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi alpha1,

I suspect that you have a copy of Zorin 6 RC which is not the final and that is why you are having these problems!!!.

Did you download the ISO from here:

I mention this because you talked about the clock which didn't work correctly in Zorin 6 RC!!. (The clock adjustment is a bug in Ubuntu)

Can you confirm what copy you have please.

See this link and the part about broken packages, then run "dpkg":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Another thought is that it might be your hard drive, how old is it??, you can also run "fsck" from the recovery menu which might help if the drive is damaged!!.

Yes Yes Yes the Eagle has landed
Well guys as you may see from my calm demena i have now at last achieved a working install
Many Thanks for all your inputs

Yes i have downloaded from

Copy downloaded is Zorin OS 6 Core 32 please se attached

Hard Drive just reached a year old it is relatibeley a new machine - I have checked the drive with PM (Partiction Magic) all is well
Those are all very good suggistions which i had done previously

But since reading your post today i have re ran many of the suggestion within the post and at first it didi not work ontill i rebooted the system
My Clock now works fine my system seems to have updated yet again along with package.
At present all seems to be going well, i hope.

alpha1

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:26:01 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Great minds think alike Wolfman! I was thinking the same too - the other question is, now that it is installed, have you opened a terminal and run:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

and after it has completed, still with the terminal open:

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
?

Lastly, have you updated your Language Region/Locales and applied system wide? This can sometimes affect time setttings.

Hi swarfendor437 well as you will see i have implemented your suggistion again and low and behold the system seems to be now running fine
The only thing i didi not do was the Language Region/Locales - now that i have done this we are cooking on gas.

Way to go swarfendor437
Thank you guys.

alpha1

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:32:36 pm

datek1 wrote:If you ever have trouble installing via USB or DVD/CD and know for sure it's not the image itself. There is two things that can cause this problem. The first thing that can cause this, is the computer that you are using to make the disk/usb installer. Find a friend whom ever and try making these on a different PC. The second thing is your hard drive. Use something like Hiren's boot cd that has all kinds of goody's on it to test your hard drive for ( bad sectors ) .
You can install XP on a hard drive going bad ok, but installing something like Zorin/Vista /Windows 7 you will always have trouble. This issue would take to long for me to explain why and how, but I see it day everyday at my shop. AND further more with the type of graphics you are running you will have problems with running Zorin on your PC. With the set up you are running go with Zorin's 6.1 lite. You need a little heavier graphics card than what you have now. The rest of your machine is fine. I have a test machine setup just like yours running a GEFORCE 210 with a beefed up power supply at 500 watts. if you are planning to upgrade your graphics card spend the little extra and upgrade your power supply also. Remember the more power that graphics has excess to the better performance it has.

Hi datek thanks for the input
I was not aware of this as a possibility but i will bear it in mine for the future i am gratful for your input

But as reported earlier following on from swarfendor437 and Wolfman earlier responce they have come together and with the input recieved the system seems to be now working fine at present.

I will confirm later on if this has fully resolved my problems.
Once again guys many thanks.