Boot drive is full for no known reason

Boot drive is full for no known reason

Postby mooneyguy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 pm

I have two laptops running Zorin. They both have identical Samsung 256GB SSD and pretty much the same software. One is HP ENVY 4 and the other HP DM1-4175NR.

Last night the DM1 began throwing install errors and reported that only 5MB of the boot drive was free. Gparted confirmed the lack of space.I checked the other laptop with gparted and it shows 218GB free. I've only begun using Zorin so there hasn't been much time for a data build up and over 200GB seems like a lot without really working at it. Being fairly new to Linux, I'm unsure how to determine what's happening. Any guidance would be appreciated.
mooneyguy

Re: Boot drive is full for no known reason

Postby mooneyguy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I just noticed what might be a key difference. The DM1 (having the problem) is going to be my traveling machine and the drive is encrypted (done during installation). That might change things.
mooneyguy

Postby Wolfman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 am

Hi,

also; make sure your system is up-to-date:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Run "DPKG" per the guide, a network cable is required!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Kindness is something that the blind can see and the deaf can hear :)

Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)

Free Ubuntu User Manual: https://ubuntu-manual.org/
Wolfman

Postby mooneyguy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks, Wolfman. Your detailed assistance is always thorough and beyond all expectations. I learn a lot just reading your posts for various issues.

I tried various recovery modes as suggested, but could not get network connection. The terminal would list a couple of lines of information and then hang. The one function that seemed to work was system information, which showed only 19Gb used on the boot drive. GParted still shows 225 MiB in use and 17.81 free.

Attempts to use dist-upgrade and dpkg were met with failures and error codes. Given my rudimentary Linux knowledge and the myriad possibilities for these errors (including the possibility that this laptop is having hardware issues), I'm thinking of nuking the system and reinstalling Zorin OS.

I'm leaving on a two week trip soon and intend to do so without a Windows computer for the first time in 20 years. For my purposes on the trip I only need email, browsing and the usual audio/video tools. Unless this machine is really having a hardware meltdown, I'm probably going to be safe after a fresh installation.

As always, I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks for the help. Your explanation of options goes into my Linux toolkit.
mooneyguy

Postby Wolfman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am

Hi MG,

are you trying to run "DPKG" with a WiFi connection?, if so, you will only get error messages if you don't know exactly what you are doing!.

Look at the update guide again and change your software download sources location and try again, see the guide for info on how to do this!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Wolfman

Postby mooneyguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Wolfman, I'm not entirely sure. This model of netbook has a 'wifi' key which shows orange when not in use and blue when active. I observe that it is orange throughout the recovery process, but have no idea if Linux turns it on without changing the led.

The screen shows the following below the yes/no window:

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/dev/mapper/live--vg--root: clean, 443319/14753792 files, 6002626/58991616 blocks
/dev/sda1 was not cleanly mounted, check forced.
/dev/sda1: 288/124496 files (5.6% non-contiguous), 231009/248832 blocks
mountall: fsck /boot [1108] terminated with status 1

Perhaps there is clue in there.

Jim
mooneyguy

Postby mooneyguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:53 pm

I removed the wifi/bluetooth module and the got the same error when attempting to enter recovery and connect to the network.
mooneyguy

Postby datek1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi MG,

are you trying to run "DPKG" with a WiFi connection?, if so, you will only get error messages if you don't know exactly what you are doing!.

Look at the update guide again and change your software download sources location and try again, see the guide for info on how to do this!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Mooneyguy > Forgive me > ...if I missed the boat here.
But just in case :!: :!:
If your trying run " DPKG " via WiFi > Wireless .....you will definitely get error's.
Wolfman was stating to be physically plugged into the internet only when trying to run "DPKG".
Having the "LAN Cable" > internet cable plugged in... should override the wireless connection automatically to wired.
datek1

Postby mooneyguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 am

While the wired cable should rule, I couldn't be sure. So I removed the wifi module completely to be sure. Now I know.
mooneyguy

Postby Wolfman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 am

Hi,

when entering the recovery menu, you must first click on "Network" and then on "DPKG" and follow it through, it shouldn't matter that you have a WiFi module installed because as you said, the network cable should kick in first!.

Restart your PC afterwards!.

Don't worry about FSCK for the moment!.

Wolfman

Next

Return to Help and Support