This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing nanoCAD in wine

Jaime

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:15:21 am

Anyone have any idea about this error. The program installs fine, but when I open it, this is the first thing I get, then no matter what I click on, it just closes after this. I just installed the new version 5, version 4 did the same thing. Here's the site where I get this from.
http://nanocad.com/

Wolfman

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48:15 am

Hi Jaime,

I don't know about that particular app, there are several freebies out there which you can try and most are native to Linux:

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-be ... linux.html

Did you install the package "mono-complete" which would basically give you the Linux version of Windows "NetFrameWork"?.

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Or install via Synaptic/Ubuntu Software Center

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:50:40 am

thank you, I was trying to figure out that framework on wine. I think I have seen most of those cad programs, but I may have to check them out again since this was a long time ago and things were not quite there.

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

I don't know about that particular app, there are several freebies out there which you can try and most are native to Linux:

Did you install the package "mono-complete" which would basically give you the Linux version of Windows "NetFrameWork"?.

Code:

Jaime

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:33:54 pm

Well, I tried but have not been able to get anywhere with this. Also, there is an error on the command you typed. There is a dash between apt-get and no dash after get. I got an error trying to install it that way. So I ended up going into the software center and intalled the MonoDevelop program thinking it was this. I then realized the typo and got it installed correctly, but I am still getting the errors no matter what. I rebooted, uninstalled and re-installed the programs but no go unfortunately. It's no big deal I would just like to have these on my computer and play with them over time to get to know them since they are free and I like their features. I also tried narocad, but that won't work either. I also tried installing it with PlayonLinux which seemed to give me most of what I see under windows, but it still woud not work. It says Wine crashed. Either way, good to know about Mono, if am ever inclined to learn programming that should come in handy. I am no programmer though. I leave that to the smarter guys, I'm not that smart. :)

Wolfman wrote:Hi Jaime,

Code:

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:42:03 am

H Jamime,

try forcing an update as it may be a dependencies problem, open a terminal and paste the following command in it:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Try mucking around with the apps again after a restart!.

Let us know if that helps.

A question:

Are you doing this in a full install or a Virtual Machine?.

Sorry about the typo btw! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have corrected it in all the posts on this thread, thanks for pointing it out. :D

Jaime

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:11:10 am

I just did the update, but I forgot I uninstalled the programs since I could not make them work. Let me check, I think playonlinux may still have it. I'm doing this on my full install, not a vm. I want to keep the LTS version, won't the upgrade change that?

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:31:21 am

Hi Jaime,

no!; the dist upgrade command won't affect your installed system if you use that command, it is not a full Ubuntu release upgrade command!. It is designed to solve missing dependency problems and not do a full system upgrade!.

That is working on the assumption that you have the settings in your software resources list set to "Never" where it states "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version"!. (That will normally only kick in when the software updater is running and you must confirm a full upgrade!)

The terminal command for a full system upgrade is this command, DON'T USE IT OR YOUR SYSTEM WILL NO LONGER LOOK LIKE ZORIN BUT A NORMAL UBUNTU RELEASE!:

Code:
sudo do-release-upgrade

Jaime

Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32:06 pm

Okay got, it, helps to read the whole line. :D I just did the command for the upgrade, rebooted and tried running the nanocad, still got the same error. So my OS is still working fine with all the updates, well it seems that way so far. No idea why these two programs won't play nice, but I'll leave it at that.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:17:43 pm

It could be a .dll dependency issue - if you have a Windows machine, this may be useful:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

[NOTE: I have NOT used this software! DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!]