This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

“start menu avatar” written by Contra

Anonymous

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31:06 pm

Tried to move their thread to the right section, but Boo Boo'd while in the process !!!!
Contra if you'd like you can leave you question here again.
Next time I won't forget to uncheck the shadow of the original before moving the thread/topic.
Again my apologies to Contra.

Anonymous

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38:56 pm

Contra if this is by any chance in relations to Zorin OS 8.
You won't be able to do anything... until you get Zorin OS 8 unstuck out of [ Guest Session ].
You can look at the instructions that Wolfman has used to solve the problem.

or

You can take your mouse and scroll directly over top where you log-in with your password.
And start moving the pointer around + pressing the the button on the mouse to get the system to go into your Desktop Log-in.
I 'll leave a screenshot for reference.

If I remember right before my Boo Boo... Contra is trying to swap the [ Avatar ] for another.

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:57:31 am

Here's are two blurry screenshots showing the area you need to play around with... to get your user session to pop up and to get the guest session at the bottom where it belongs.
Again just move the arrow/pointer around + plus left clicking the mouse at the same time to make things happen.
Worked everytime for me when the problem came around.
Afterward everything will resume normal from then on.
Didn't have any problems changing the menu avatar in user-accounts what so ever after the problem went away. :D :D

Here's a copy below of what Wolfman did to solve his problem.

Hi all,

to solve the logout - login problem, create a new account and at the login window, click on the name of the normal user account or the new account name, don't click on the the account "Guest" and everything will (should) work fine as far as logging in and out goes.

The best tool to use is "Users & Groups" which ia a part of the package "gnome-system-tools and you can install it via a terminal with the following command:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Regards Wolfman :D

Contra

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:35:54 am

I am trying to figure this out///i will report back ASAP

Contra

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:51:49 am

I may not have been as clear as I thought

I got that pic to what I want with no problem

but here in this pic is where I mean

top right...

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06:04 am

The pic on the top of the Zorin Menu = Avatar works just fine on Zorin OS 8.
Now for Zorin OS 7 or 6..I can't recall if it ever worked right.
Wait til later...Madvinegar or Wolfman can answer that question better than me.
Shouldn't be to awful long before one of them drops in on the forum.
Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Contra

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47:40 am

you cant upgrade to it without a new fresh install correct?

Contra

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56:12 pm

I thought so...bummer...lol...that's ok...

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06:52 pm

Wait til Swarfendor comes on later. He's better at explaining than myself.
I know how on alot of things, but when explaining...some things come out backwards.

Contra

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08:37 pm

no prob, question, if I install Zorin 8 RC, is that updatable or will i need to install it again as Final Release?

I have been looking for the place where the generic pic that is the man in the Start Menu, if I replace that or link that to the account image, it will work, I just gotta find it

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25:21 pm

No you can't upgrade. To be fair I have not tried 8 - been too busy reinstalling Windows 7 Pro on another Drive and Windows 8 Pro on another (writing from that now!). I want to give 8 RC a go when I can back up my PearOS 7 Data on the drive I did not install GRUB to! What fun! :lol:

See my comment on the avatar here - I could be wrong!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6172&p=29315#p29315

Contra

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26:03 am

well I figured it out...

Contra

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:49:10 pm

it corresponds to the pic in the "User Account" section
basically I fixed the problem...lol

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:40:51 pm

So did it 'stick'? I could not get that to work in 7 - it just appeared in the account, never in the menu - reminder again that 7 support ends at end of January 2014 - only a week left!

Contra

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22:39 am

it is a permanent fix...it works like the creator intended

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:40:59 pm

I see you are now running 8, so when you change the avatar in your account detail it shows up on the menu, am I correct? - and that it was 8 not 7 as I noticed your signature on the previous post was version 7 of Zorin? :D

Contra

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:27:05 pm

I did it in both 7 and 8...and yes when I change it in the account list it changes in the start menu as well

blfriis

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37:52 pm

I can't get it to work in Zorin 8 64b

Contra

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09:46 pm

here was my solution

open a terminal, type sudo nautilus
then type your password

then through the window that opens

go to var/lib/AccountServices/icons
then change the permissions of that folder to your login name essentially making YOU the owner

save that...

then make a linked copy of the picture of your account while in that folder, it will look exact like the original but it will say "link" (all while still in "sudo")

now that you did the hard part, while still in the terminal

back out and go to

usr/share/zorinmenu/Themes/Icon/ZorinOS

and in there do the same type of permissions you did in the other folder (naming your login name as the "owner", instead of the "root" as the owner

now, you see while in that folder the files that says

"gtk-missing-image.png"

it is the generic picture of that guy in your start menu right?
well take the link you created earlier (in the other folder) and put it here in this folder, but first re-name it to "gtk-missing-image.png"
then copy and paste it here in
usr/share/zorinmenu/Themes/Icon/ZorinOS

you don't need to be in the terminal after you initially changed both folder to YOUR LOGIN name as you are now the owner
so copy and paste all you want, the file size doesn't matter

just remember in the first folder make a link to the picture by right clicking while your the owner (or in sudo as root)

and this will work...

post a pic of your new moded menu...

I like to call it "Contra's Mod"

blfriis

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:59:41 pm

Hi thanks for helping, but everytime I try I get this message in terminal.. I have tried with sudo nautilus and gksudo nautilus.
blfriis@blfriis-EasyNote-TS11HR:~ $ gksudo nautilus
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 1.6.0
ERROR:nautilus-properties-window.c:1837:schedule_owner_change_timeout: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_FILE (file))
blfriis@blfriis-EasyNote-TS11HR:~ $

Code:
blfriis@blfriis-EasyNote-TS11HR:~ $ sudo nautilus

** (nautilus:29660): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: Ressourcen på "/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css" findes ikke

** (nautilus:29660): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: Ressourcen på "/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css" findes ikke

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 1.6.0

(nautilus:29660): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/blfriis/.config/ibus/bus is not root!

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action 'NautilusDropbox::move' to action group 'DirExtensionsMenuGroup'

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_action_get_name: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACTION (action)' failed

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_action_get_name: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACTION (action)' failed

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_add_ui: assertion 'name != NULL || type == GTK_UI_MANAGER_SEPARATOR' failed

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_add_ui: assertion 'name != NULL || type == GTK_UI_MANAGER_SEPARATOR' failed

(nautilus:29660): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action 'NautilusDropbox::move' to action group 'DirExtensionsMenuGroup'

ERROR:nautilus-properties-window.c:1837:schedule_owner_change_timeout: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_FILE (file))

But hopefully it will be fixed in the final release.. ;)

Contra

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38:30 am

this is a glitch in Zorin 8, but
I found a fix for this...trying to find it again...

Contra

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23:08 am

Zorin 7 didn't have this problem...lol

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:41:01 pm

Contra wrote:Zorin 7 didn't have this problem...lol

I wonder if it is a 64-bit issue as I had the same issue of it NOT working in 7 (64-bit).

Contra

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04:02 pm

I tried 64 and I got it to work...it is not a 64 bit issue, it is a Zorin 8 issue, I went back to 32 because of the printer drivers, only available in 32 from Brother

if I can find the fix I used I will post it...there are 2 problems I found with 8 in this case, the sudo issue and the thumbnail issue, I fixed both...i just didnt save either fix, currently it works very smooth and I have no issues, i just gotta post the fixes I used...lol

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09:54 pm

Contra wrote:I tried 64 and I got it to work...it is not a 64 bit issue, it is a Zorin 8 issue, I went back to 32 because of the printer drivers, only available in 32 from Brother

if I can find the fix I used I will post it...there are 2 problems I found with 8 in this case, the sudo issue and the thumbnail issue, I fixed both...i just didnt save either fix, currently it works very smooth and I have no issues, i just gotta post the fixes I used...lol

Ahhh! Thought so! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07:10 pm

OK Contra, guess I beat you to it! ;) How to get the avatar working in Zorin 8 (I have just video'd installation but not this trick!). I backed up my '.face' file used in Pear OS (no longer exists as the dev sold out to a "well-known company" - but could not say who! Copy the '.face' file directly into your '/home' folder - log out, log back in and avatar there! (Gives 60 blue jewels to self! :lol: )

29.jpg

Contra

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04:25 am

no sir, mine isn't just a copy and paste solution, mine works like intended by the creators...
with "Contra's Menu Fix", you don't have to copy and paste

video...sound is kinda low

http://youtu.be/Y5f5tBBdyJA

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27:49 am

Hi Contra, my fix is a very old one for GnoMenu before its dev walked away - I am running 64 bit. Basically if I followed your instructions the avatar changes in the 'change' box but not in the menu - not even after logging out. So for 64 bit users, find an avatar you already have and just rename it '.face' and place it in your '/home' folder, log out and back in again - job done! :D I don't doubt for one minute that your method works but I guess only for 32-bit versions - I await to be corrected! :mrgreen:

Contra

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32:51 am

while that works for 64 bit
mine is automatic and works for 32 bit...

but I am glade you found a fix for the 64 bit...

either way for newbs who need help, this it the thread for them...

Contra

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:34:01 am

however I will work on the 64 bit...and see what I can do

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28:10 pm

Hi Contra, trying to find the link I told you about - it is in one of my vimeo videos! :D

https://vimeo.com/56632883

PhutureX

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32:16 am

lost... i cant stant the fact that i cant get my pic on my menu.... step by step please...??? zorin 8

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00:47 pm

PhutureX wrote:lost... i cant stant the fact that i cant get my pic on my menu.... step by step please...??? zorin 8

1. Copy your chosen avatar (.bmp/.gif) into your '/home' folder.

2. Rename the avatar '.face' - nothing else! juse '.face'!!!

3. Logout, log back in - you will see your avatar in the Menu but not in the login screen - haven't looked that far yet. :D

Contra

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18:29 pm

what version of Zorin are you using, 32 bit or 64?

PhutureX

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44:35 am

64 bit sorry...

Contra

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:06:59 am

most definitely do Swarfendor437 fix...

PhutureX

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:00:15 am

i got it working with Swarfendor437 fix and i got it to have my pic in the sign in screen too by just clicking on the menu where my pic is then click on the picture next to my name and brouse for more pics to the pic i want

Contra

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:12:19 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Tried to move their thread to the right section, but Boo Boo'd while in the process !!!!
Contra if you'd like you can leave you question here again.
Next time I won't forget to uncheck the shadow of the original before moving the thread/topic.
Again my apologies to Contra.

well a took a long leave but I am back, and if done right Contra's Fix still works, I am using Zorin 11 64 bit...no problem