This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

wifi networking

WaterWolf

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:35:38 pm

Hi .......I'm a newbie to Linux and have finanally taken the first step to get out of Windows. At present I've done a duel boot system of WinXP & Zorin on a Dell Latitude D600 with 1 gig of ram at the moment. I've be playing around with Zorin to see what its like and to get use to how it operates and I must say that I think this version of linux was a good jump of point for me. So far I think I could get into using it more once I figure out a few things. So far I've only had one real problem with Zorin and it has to do with wifi networking. Here at home my network is a wired system and both Zorin and WinXP work fine, I can get online with no problems. When I go out though thats a different thing. When I go out WinXP wifi networking will allow me to scan for an open line and allow me to connect with it, but in Zorin I just can't seem to get connect to any open wifi networks. How can I set up Zorin wifi networking so I can use it when I'm out somewhere and once it is set up can it scan for open wifi networks or is there a separate program that I would need to download in order to do that. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Final Note. I've been check out different version of Linux for years, but like most people to afraid to try something different. I liked what I saw when I came across Zorin OS. I could change it to look like the WinXP desktop which I thought would help in my conversion to Linux. Way to go to the people at Zorin for this feature. That feature most like could get more people trying Zorin.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12:31 am

Try this with lots of links to other info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Also let us know what type of wireless adapter you have in your PC!!.

Regards Wolfman:)